𝟒.

Derry High | Fri 9:21 AM
Richie Tozier

Unlike all the girls in the room, Richie and Stan took their Home EC class very seriously, or at least Stan did. He had dressed himself and Richie in aprons and hairnets, preparing to make whatever Richie chose from the yellow cookbook today. Yesterday they made dinner, and today they were making desert.

"Why are there so many things shaped like asses in this book?" Richie blurted out, staring at the page in question. Stan wanted to tell him to get back to work, but he did have to admit, he was intrigued by this sudden remark. "Where?" He asked, leaning over his shoulder.

"Look, first it's this bunt cake that only has two indents." He says while pointing at it and then flipping the page. "Then it's this brownie that's circle shaped." He flips again. "And last but not least, this Caramel apple that is being penetrated in the wrong hole."

"You are thinking about this way too much Rich, cookings supposed to be fun not gross." Stan says while putting a hand on his hip and on the table. He was already wearing bulky gloves that matched his turquoise apron. Although this was Richie's third dirty joke in a span of 10 minutes, he enjoyed cooking with him. He made it fun and could be helpful when prompted.

"Asses aren't gross Stan my man. You of all people should know that." He replied, earning an eye roll. "I was just making an observation."

"Whatever you say."

Suddenly, the intercom turned on, creating a tiny ding! as it did so.

Students of Derry High, I am sad to announce that one of our own has passed this week, Mr. Eddie Kaspbrak, to liver failure. Our condolences go to the friends and family of this poor young man.

Richie turned his head to look at a shocked Stan, who's hand was over his gaping mouth. He placed a hand on his back and rubbed comfortingly, seeing his wide, glossy eyes. They both listened as Ms. Sinclair's message continued, her voice going back to how grumpy it usually sounded.

In honor of Eddie's memory, there will be an assembly for him tomorrow, where I will be discussing the difficult topic of drug abuse in teens. If anyone needs someone to talk to, there are resources in my office or you could go our school's counselor Ms. May. Thank you.

There were a range of reactions in the room. Some of the girls were genuinely shocked and sad about his death, while others were annoyed and made asshole remarks like, "Why're they wasting our time with an assembly? He wasn't that special." Richie couldn't believe how insensitive some of them were. He didn't even know the guy and still felt at least sorry for him.

• • •

The quarry had always been a safe space for the losers, so it made sense that they would go there to properly mourn, as the people at school were way too judgmental. It was no secret that people looked down on them. Some of their peers had even stopped talking to Richie because of his association with the group, who were all sitting in a circle on the grass.

Stan was the only one on a lone stump, his legs criss crossed on top of it. The lake was calm, small blows of air creating soft, peaceful splashes. It was a nice day out, not fitting the tone of the situation at all. That should've been a sign that they were depressed over nothing, but no one realized it, not even Richie, who's gut could often sense deceit.

Mike seemed to be taking it the hardest, although he was usually optimistic, while Eddie was the pessimist. Him not being there anymore really took a toll on him, even when Eddie was alive. He was the only one who felt like it wasn't right, while the others thought they would all be better off. Now, Mike was in so much grief that hadn't reacted much, other than going mute for the rest of the day. It was like he'd shatter into a million pieces if he dared to utter a word.