chapter one

The sun arose to breech behind the the girl's curtains. The birds sang their happy song, to the sad girl. Her daddy was most likely knocked out from alcohol consumption, giving her enough time to leave for school. A groan fell from her pink lips as she slowly sat up, wincing as she did so. She could feel the pain in her ribs from the brutal beating she had gotten from her drunk, sorry excuse of a father the night before. She pivoted her body so her long, tan legs, fell over the side of her twin sized bed. She could feel her raven hair braided down her back, a bad habit she had when she was upset or nervous.

      It didn't take long for the young girl, whom had the name of Aspen, to get ready. She wore no makeup but the cover up to hide the bruises along her tiny framed face, and had only wore her jeans, a white t-shirt with a jacket, and her boots. Around her waist was her barrel racing belt buckle and cow leather belt. She was a modest girl, much to her best friend's disliking. Kaelie had always saw the best in Aspen, but Aspen never saw it. Pulling away from the mirror, Aspen brushed both teeth and hair, and let the thick locks rest over her shoulder.

   Aspen checked the time; 5:44. It took at least an hour to get into town, and Aspen did not want to endure another scolding from the principal for being late, which lead to a contact call to her father, which meant endless beatings and callings of being worthless throughout the night. Grabbing her phone, and book bag, Aspen left to slowly descend the stairs, and grabbing a green apple. She peered over her shoulder, looking at a peaceful looking Bradley Kinney, Aspen Kinney's father, who laid sleeping with an empty bottle of bourbon in his hand.

    Aspen sighed, grabbing her keys and leaving the tiny farmhouse. Aspen walked to her truck, gazing out over the foggy meadows of Montana. She could hear the whinnies coming from the barn, but knew the stable hand her mother had hired was going to be feeding them. He always did, Monday through Friday, and on this new spring day of Friday, it was the last day he would be coming. Permanently. He was leaving because Aspen could no longer pay him. She was failing her classes after working up to six jobs a day just to work up enough to pay him each day. She just couldn't deal with the stress.

    About an hour later, Aspen's 1980's Chevy truck pulled into to West King High. She was sixteen, which meant she was in tenth grade. Almost the bottom of the food chain. Aspen could see the swarms of teenagers emerging from their cars and running into the classrooms to avoid being late. Aspen was one of those teenagers. Quickly jumping out of the faded red truck, she manually locked it and ran into her first period; Gym. Oh joy.

        Aspen glanced around the locker room, hoping no one would notice her. She felt like Carrie, an anti-social girl who had no bearings on what a social life was like. Aspen sighed, shaking her head and pulling her raven hair out of its braid, and up into a pony tail. Her gym shorts were baggy on her long legs, and her t-shirt, much to her dismay, clung to her curves. With a deep breath, she exited the locker room. “Hick”, “Ugly redneck”, was everything she heard; everyday, all day. However, one person had never made fun of her. The well-known seventeen year old, Gunner McCarthy. He was a rodeo star, a bronc rider, and team roper. He had moved here from Florida to get a better bearings. And the Montana lifestyle was perfect for the cowboy.

                Bringing herself back to the present, she shook her head and ran up the bleachers to meet her best friend. Kaelie wore short, almost volleyball short, shorts, and a grey t-shirt. Her tennis shoes were bright orange, and her vibrant red hair was pulled up into a pony tail, and her blue eyes were locked on one particular senior; Danny Jackson. He was known for being like, Jesse James, loving them and leaving them. Kaelie had always been into that kind of guy, and wasn't down for a long term relationship. Aspen, however, was her complete polar opposite. Kaelie liked playing volleyball, didn't care about her grades, and only had decent enough of grades to remain on the volleyball team, was a complete “city slicker”, and was very self-confident. Aspen, was a country girl, the only sports she played involved guns or fishing poles, as well as horses, cared about her grades a whole lot, and hated attention, making herself lack the confidence she needed.

                Seeming to finally notice Aspen, Kaelie's pearl white smile came to greet her best friend. Aspen returned the favor, and both exchanged little hugs.

                “I think he likes me, Aspen,” Kaelie muttered.

                “How so?”

                “He actually talked to me today.”

                “Really?”

                “Yes, OMG, there's a party Friday night, you should totally come with me! Danny will be there too!” Kaelie's high pitched voice quickly talked. Parties weren't Aspen's thing, and she knew this.

                “Sorry, can't…” Aspen trailed off with her lie.

                “What, why?”

                “Um, I'm gonna go out into the woods. You know, mustangs are hot this year. If Bradley won't buy me a horse, I'll catch me one.” Okay, so that wasn't a complete lie. She addressed her dad by his full name, not caring if others wondered why.

                “Fine, but be careful.”

                --------------

        School ended eight brutal hours later, and Aspen rushed out and towards her truck. She had no time to stay and chit chat. Quickly unlocking her truck, and turning on the engine, she pulled out of the parking lot, and on the way home. Thankfully, Aspen arrived home sometime later. The lights were off in the house, which meant her dad was sound asleep. Sighing in relief, she left her things in her truck, and immediately ran out to the barn. Rushed, she grabbed her rope, and then the mule eating hay in his stall. "C'mon Jack! Work with me!" She scolded, tugging on the mule's halter. Pinning his long ears, he finally moved out.

        Aspen quickly walked him to the hitching post, and tied him up. It didn't take long to get him tacked up, seeing as she had done this so many times. Jack took the bit with little hesitation, but snorted as she tightened the girth. Rolling her eyes, she mounted up. She gave Jack a gentle kick in the side, and pulled the right reins, knowing he went left. Yes, she knew this was bad training, but it got Jack going the way she wanted him too. The mule slowly complied, but agreed to Aspen when she kicked him into a canter.

        The birds tweeted their happy songs, and the wind blew it's serenity solo to the young girl and the stubborn mule. Jack's ears flipped around, and he imediately halted, throwing his head up in the hair. Aspen watched the mule's nose flare, and her eyes narrowed. What was possibly wrong with him? She dismounted him, moving to his head and stroking his nose. Jack calmed down, and allowed himself to be lead with Aspen on foot.

        Something must have been in the area that was spooking the mule pretty badly. She crept forward, looking around. Aspen needed to be better about bringing her gun along with her, as mountain lions haunted the area in the spring, with foals being born, and their cubs needing food. Shaking her head, she saw nothing. Jack seemed to calm down as well, and with nothing interfering with her search of an actual horse, she mounted up. Aspen walked Jack forwards, neck reining him and keeping her left hand holding the reings, and right hnd on the rope, lightly tapping Jack's hindquarters [A/N For those reading, the hindquarters of a horse are the hips on a human], and keeping her eyes open for a horse, or in worst case scenerio, a mountain lion.

[A/N: For all of y'all reading this, please comment, vote, etc. I have been wanting to write this for a few months now. Your encouragments would be appreciated! Thanks!]