Chapter 9

Returning to my apartment complex, Cam had insisted on walking me to my apartment door. Well, actually, if we're being technical, he offered to one time and I was having too good of a time with him to turn down more time spent with him, no matter how short or mundane it might have been.

As we reached the door, I stopped leaning against the wall beside it as I turned toward Cam with a smile I couldn't hold back. He made me feel like a giddy teenager. "I had a great time," I said softly.

He stood close to me, inches away as his tall frame towered over me. A smile of his own tugged at the corners of his full lips as his brown eyes gazed down at me warmly. "As did I," he agreed, his low voice husky.

I bit my lip as I felt a shiver run down my spine. I hoped he hadn't noticed but as the smile that had been playing on his lips vanished and I watched darkness fill his eyes, I knew that he hadn't missed it. As his gaze shifted back forth from my lips back to my eyes, I swallowed nervously.

His tongue ran over his lips as he continued eyeing me, new anticipation rising like a wave crashing inside me. "Is it too soon to kiss you good night?" He asked quietly.

I grinned before tilting my head and looking up at through my eyelashes. "I don't kiss on the first date," I teased.

Picking up what I was throwing down he chuckled softly as he stepped closer. I felt his warm breathing fan my face as he looked down at me. His gaze locked onto mine and my heart fluttered harder. "Are we counting that night at Chili's?" He mused.

My grin widened as I leaned back further into the wall behind me, craning my neck further to watch him. "I am," I answered softly.

He chuckled again, flashing me his perfect smile as a brightness reached his eyes. "Good," he breathed out before he leaned down toward me. Our noses brushed as his warm lips met mine. Leaning into him, I brought a hand up to rest on his cheek as my other hand pressed against his hard chest. I felt him smile against my lips as he pulled me closer to him, cradling below my ear as his thumb softly brushed along my jaw. 

The combination of our deepening kiss, his gentle touch, and his woodsy cologne set all my senses on fire as I tried to think straight. I felt like I was melting into a puddle right here in the complex hallway. 

Breaking away from the kiss, he pulled back as he looked down sheepishly, grinning as he raked a hand through his dark hair. I sucked in a deep, shaky breath as I watched him, unable to look away. "Good night, Claire," he said, his raspy voice sending chills through me. 

Clearing my throat, I ran my hands down my dress anxiously as I bit my lip. "Good night, Cam," I heard myself whisper. Turning around, I unlocked my door before twisting the knob and stepping inside. Looking back over my shoulder at him, I smiled one last time before gently closing it behind me and locking it. 

Exhaling, I relaxed my body, throwing my head back as I tried to process the feelings this man was causing me to feel. "Oh. My. God," I drew out slowly under my breath.

"Was that a good oh my God or a bad one?" I heard Nate say behind me. 

My eyes widened as I quickly spun around to face him where he was sitting comfortably on my couch, his laptop in his lap. For a brief millisecond, I had completely forgotten he was here. "You scared the shit out of me, Nate," I told him as I ran a hand through my hair and began making my way to my bed that sat a few feet behind the couch. 

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," he replied unsympathetically. "Anyway, how was it?"

Dropping on to my bed, I tossed my wristlet onto my nightstand and began removing my heels. I turned to face him where he sat smiling as he patiently waited. I couldn't resist the smile that returned to my face. "It was incredible."