peculiar stranger - m. streep ✿

She ran as fast as her worn feet could take her, towards the train station. She needed to see him again, not caring about the rain pouring from the sky and soaking her wet, in her white dress. She wanted to say goodbye properly before he goes off to war.

Her name was Mary.

She was beautiful, as many people would say. With pale green eyes, fair skin, and that bright smile she always wore, she could capture anyone's heart.

"Excuse me." She said, trying to get past the crowd, mostly women saying goodbye to their beloved husbands. She saw him and almost immediately, leapt into his arms, her lover smiling wide as he accepted her embrace and began to place kisses all over her face.

His name was Donald.

"I never thought I'd even expect you here." He said, placing her on the ground. "And where's your umbrella? You should've used it, you're drenched in rain." He said running his fingers through her soft, long blonde hair.

"Forget the umbrella, leaving without saying goodbye?" She frowned.

"I don't have the guts to tell anybody."

"Am I anybody then?"

"Of course not." He smiled slyly wiping a stray tear falling from her porcelain face, he could see loneliness in her eyes. "What's wrong, my love?" He asked

"Will I ever see you again?" she asked softly as he went silent.

"Yes." was all he managed to say.

"Do you promise?" she asked and he smiled and nodded.

"Seal it with a kiss then." she giggled as he cupped her face and kissed her fully on the mouth, their lips moving in sync as they both pulled away when the need for air came.

"When I come back, we will marry, have children and explore the world." He declared with one final kiss to her lips, getting on the train and finding himself a seat.

"When you come back, you'll have to visit my grave." she said quietly, careful not to be heard by him or anyone.

Mary had kept her mouth shut for months, she had gotten the disease that had been spreading everywhere. She in return did not have the guts to tell him. She wanted to cherish every moment she had with him.

She didn't want to be a burden.

One last whistle blew from the train, indicating it was leaving. The train boarded forward as Donald's head popped out from one of the windows, cupping the back of Mary's face with his hand and pulled her for one last kiss. She laughed, silly Donald.

The train boarded away as they waved each other goodbye, both of them smiling from ear to ear.

Unfortunately, neither of them knew what future has for them. Their goodbyes became real, when Donald had died from the war and Mary suffered, the flu taking her life away as well.

--

May 1978, New York:

Meryl sighed, straightening her skirt and just in front of her, was a little screening room. She walked inside and was immediately greeted by her friend and co-star, James Woods.

"Hey Jimmy." she smiled and hugged him, accepting the kiss on the cheek he gave her.

"So, how are you?" Jimmy asked.

"What do you mean?" she answered, confused.

"Meryl, I was there and I know exactly what you've been through, seriously, how are you?" he asked again, concerned.

Meryl had been through hell since her boyfriend John had died, and finding a place to stay after being evicted from their shared loft when finding out her name wasn't on the deed didn't help either.

"I'm okay, I guess. Just, you know, trying to get through the days or whatever you call that." she smiled weakly as James gave her a friendly pat on the shoulder.

They conversed more about what was going on with their lives when Meryl's brother, Harry Streep the Third, walked in, bringing a friend with him inside. Much to Meryl's surprise, she found him cute, handsome to be exact, not to mention sexy.

"Hi there sis." Third greeted kissing her sister on the cheek. Meryl couldn't help but look at her brother's friend, she seemed to know him, she wasn't sure why, she hadn't even met him before.

Donald himself, looked at her everytime she didn't look at him. Also having that familiar feeling, sure he had seen her in pictures and knew her through the stories Third and Meryl's other younger brother, Dana, had told him. He kept sensing he had met her somewhere else. He kept shaking the feeling of meeting her before, he just couldn't put a finger on it.

"Oh, by the way Mary, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine, Donald Gummer." Third smiled, oblivious to what was going on.

"Hi, im Meryl." Meryl offered her hand to shake hands with him, suprised by Don's actions.

Instead of shaking hands with her, he lent down and kissed her hand, blood instantly rushing to Meryl face, she tried to hide her blush by looking at James but it was too late. James saw a spark and already had a good feeling about this lad named Don.

"Im gonna get drinks, would you like some too, Meryl?" Don offered. The other two men smirked when they saw Meryl smile, that bright smile she hadn't wore for months.

"Sure, I'd love to." Meryl beamed as she and Don went to the mini-bar at the corner.

"What would you like?" Don said after ordering his bottle of beer.

"Uh, actually, I came here with you because I wanted to talk about something else." she smiled nervously.

"Sure, what is it?" Don replied.

"Have we met before?" Meryl blurted out, Don looked at her shocked, she had felt it too.

"That's what I thought when I first saw you too, but I don't think we've met before." Don answered, a small smile appearing on his lips which melted Meryl's heart.

"Maybe we did actually meet each other." Meryl said making Don look up at her. "In a different time, perhaps?"

"Could be." Don agreed.

"We were probably friends." Meryl beamed.

"I'd love to be friends with you." Don smiled earning a blush from Meryl.

"Well, whatever and whenever it was, i'm glad I met you." Don smiled tucking a strand of Meryl's honey blonde hair.

"Me too Donald, me too."

--

End.