Chapter Ten

When the world came to a standstill, it was night.

Where are we? Taryn asked as Fury surveyed her surroundings, her mortal eyes still adjusting from the abrupt change of day to night.

Stone lanterns lined a wide path, each lit with warm orange light that cast shadows of the tall, ancient trees and illuminated the silhouettes of statues and monuments and gravestones. Behind Fury stood a large structure that she recognised as a spiritual gate, covered in moss like most of the lanterns and stones were.

Her memories settling in her mind, Fury said, 'This is the Okunoin Cemetery in Koyasan.'

That sounds...

'Japanese? It is.'

We're in Japan? Taryn exclaimed.

Fury took a step back so she could take in the Torii gate looming over her, its energy like a faint hum against her skin. 'This was the first remote location that came to mind,' Fury replied.

You've been here before? How? I thought you were sealed in Hell like Lucifer until you were bound to me.

'I was, but I was still able to visit the mortal realm when a human Contracted themselves to me or summoned me for a possession,' Fury explained, turning away from the gate to walk along the stone pathway. 'My powers were limited more so than they are now, but I was still enough of a threat to attract attention when I appeared. It is how Gabriel and I first met, after all.'

A shadow shifted on the edges of Fury's vision, but although she sensed demonic energy lingering in the cemetery it was nothing strong enough to concern her.

Gabriel should be here soon.

'Indeed,' Fury murmured, stopping before a Buddhist statue sitting cross-legged atop a stone podium. 'As much as it pains me to say this, but Kael was right. I am not in a position to fight Gabriel.'

I don't want us to fight him, Fury. We're technically on the same side, right? We all want to stop Lucifer, and yet we're wasting time fighting each other. Why can't we just work together to stop Lucifer then fight each other later?

'Because that would require the Angels to consider the grey between the black and white,' Fury replied, 'and that is not in their nature. Evil is evil, there is no lesser, no allies among enemies, and besides... I do not think the Angels would miss this opportunity to destroy me if they knew of our deal.'

Well, that's a given.

The earth rumbled, the lantern lights all flickering as a sudden wind swept through the cemetery. What demonic energy Fury had felt was gone, skittering away at the arrival of another source of energy.

So Fury turned, finding the ancient pathway illuminated by the golden glow of Gabriel.

'That was quite a restrained entrance, Gabriel,' she said in greeting.

Gabriel's wings, spun together by wispy threads of gold energy, faded away like embers losing heat. 'This was sacred ground once, before mankind perverted it.'

'Careful, Gabriel, you're starting to sound like Lucifer,' Fury remarked.

Gabriel's eyes flashed. 'I may not agree with the behaviours of mankind, but I am not so arrogant as to revolt against Heaven for it.'

'Arrogant is exactly what I'd call you,' said Fury.

Stop antagonising him, Taryn hissed.

Fury rolled her eyes. 'All right, fine. Listen Gabriel—'

'Is that how it works?' Gabriel cut in, head tilted in question. He had noticed her exchange with Taryn. 'Your consciousnesses, your souls, are interchangeable within the one body yet you can communicate freely with each other?'