Chapter 4: Tension

"W-What?" I stuttered.

"Do you know him?" She asked.

"Yes, I think I'm going to skip dinner tonight.." I said, almost bolting to my room.

"But I want you to meet him." She pleaded.

I guess I had no choice. I knew how important this was to my mom and I didn't want to ruin it for her. And anyway what was he going to do? This was my house and my mom and his dad were around. And if he wanted his father to be happy, he wouldn't ruin it by shoving his fist in my mouth for the hell of it, would he? And if they were to get married I would be Jack's sister so he couldn't hurt me.

When they arrived, they were both all cleaned up and fancy. When my mother introduced me, I could tell he was a little surprised. This was the last thing we both had expected.

"Hi, I'm David." Mr. Gilisnky said taking my hand and shaking it.

"Hi." I said awkwardly. "And I'm the girl your son beats up at school every day." I wanted to say but I kept to myself.

"And this is my son, Jack, you may know him from school?" He said.

"Yeah I know him." I said giving him a dirty look.

"Is something wrong?" David asked.

"Oh nothing just a little tired. I'm still recovering from this concussion." I said, giving Jack a death stare.

"Oh yes I heard about that how are you?" He asked, concerningly.

"Actually my head is starting to hurt so I'm going to go rest." I said.

"Oh wait darling would you mind please showing jack around, he will be coming here often." She said.

"No, no please it's fine." Jack interjected.

"No, please, Leah would be glad to do so, right Leah?" My mom said, turning to me and I nodded my head flashing my best fake smile.

I rolled my eyes and Jack followed me upstairs.

"Your mom is dating my dad?" He asked, angrily.

"Is that what they were doing? All this time I thought they were just friends?." I snapped back at him.

"No, I will not be your brother." He refused.

"Well it isn't exactly a walk in the park for me either! Why would I want to be your sister?"

"This is messed up bro." He combed his fingers through his hair.

"Maybe if I tell your dad what you did to me they will break up." I said.

"Don't you dare, he would kill me." He pleaded.

"Just like you tried to kill me?" I asked.

"I wasn't trying to-" He paused "Look just leave me alone at school ok?"

"Leave you alone? You started this mess dumbass." I said, astonished he would even suggest that.

"God everytime you open that pathetic mouth of yours I wanna shove my fist in it." He said.

"Then why don't you?" I pushed him aside and continued down the hall.

"I am not trying to ruin my father's relationship and you better not either." He snapped.

I stayed quiet, feeling really overwhelmed about this whole my brother is my bully thing. Imagine the things he would do to me at home. I shivered. My mother eventually called us down to eat, and I followed Jack down to the dining room.

"I told you I'm not hungry." I insisted.

"Well at least sit with us." She said.

I joined them at the dinner table as they ate and I sat there awkwardly.

"So do you two have any classes together?" Asked Mr. Gilinsky.

"No." Jack and I said in unison.

"That's too bad." He answered.

"It's for the better." I mumbled underneath my breath.

"What was that?" He asked.

"Oh, nothing, just thinking aloud." I said and flashed a fake smile.

It disgusted me that my mom could be in love with a guy who had fathered the boy who tries to ruin my life on a daily basis. Clearly he has a lot of money. I thought of the life I would have if Jack was my brother. All of his stupid friends coming over and beating the shit out of me. But would Jack stop for the sake of our parents marriage?

"Well that was a lovely meal." Mr. Gilinsky stated.

"Yes it was. It was great having you two here" My mom said.

"We should do this more often, I love seeing your beautiful face." David replied and I gagged.

"Why don't you guys turn on a movie or something? I would like to speak with David alone." My mom said.

I looked at Jack then back at my mom and then at Jack. Great! Just what I want. Another 2 hours with this moron. I got up and he followed me into the living room. I plopped down on the couch and he sat down on a chair.

"What do you want to watch?" I asked turning on the TV.

"Your face get smashed in." He said laughing.

"Listen we're going to have to get along so please just stop." I said.

"Oh yeah? And why should I do that?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes and turned on a random movie, not bothering to answer. We didn't even watch and the room was dead silent. To my relief, David and his idiotic son left after another hour and I went to bed. They came for dinner more often than I hoped and every time it was the same. Jack and I would argue and argue and then they would leave. The tension in the air was so thick I thought David would say something but he never did.

________________

After many weeks of recovering and long dinners with the Gilinskys and boring tutoring sessions I was cleared for school. I missed a total of 3 months of school and the end of the year was coming. I dressed up nicely, curled my hair, did my makeup and drove myself to school, praying for an easy day back. When I pulled into my parking spot I was relieved to see nobody was standing there with hammers ready for round 2. I parked, got out and when I started walking away Sammy was standing behind my car.

"Oh, look. It's you. Thanks for making me pass out in the hospital." I said.

"I'm sorry about that, I'm sorry about everything." He looked at me like I was a person.. Odd.

"Yeah, whatever I don't need your sympathy." I scoffed.

"Did you like the flowers?" He asked.

I laughed "Oh you're being for real?" I couldn't believe it.

"Well, yeah." He said, shyly. I wasn't having it.

"Listen if you're setting me up or messing with me it isn't funny. I'm sick of your shit Sammy, please, just leave me alone." I said walking past him.

"Wait.." He said.

"Nope not today Sammy, today is supposed to be a good day." I shouted back to him, flipping him off without turning around.

When I walked, nobody had taken notice of me and everything was just as it should be. The boys weren't standing there waiting for my arrival and what was even more strange was, my locker was designed with get well cards and stickers. A big poster that said 'praying 4 u!' plastered the front with signatures of students. Even Sammy's name with a big heart next to it, strange. On the inside, there were flowers and little gift baskets. As I was going through my bundle of surprises, Emily ran up to me, tackling me in a hug.

"Who did all this?!" I asked smiling big.

"Sammy!" She said.

________________