ED

REFERENCE PAPER #2696.

COLLEGE OF SAINT ROSE. ALBANY, NY.

Please return to Mrs Taylor (Room 17c) Forensic Psychology dept.

Part of a television interview with Eddy Bale and Brigit Flannagan for the Psychology Now Network (Channel 247) 08/09/20

Ed -

My name is Eddy Bale with a Y not an I E. You can call me Ed I prefer that. Eddy is not short for anything, like Edward. (Subject makes eye contact) I do not like my nicknames.

Brigit -

Got it. Go on, tell me a little about yourself. Give me a glimpse into Ed Bale.

Ed -

I'm 34 years old I was born in '86 on the 6th June so that makes me a Gemini. (Subject laughs) That means I am intelligent and restless if you believe that kind of thing. I do, for the most part anyway.

Brigit-

That is good, can you tell me about your childhood, growing up, your parents. That kind of thing.

Ed -

Not much to say really. I was born in Leeds, England but grew up in Durham, Just south of Newcastle. My mother was called Julie and she was a nurse trainer at the University hospital. My Dad, Greg, he was a Copper working for Durham Police. They are still together, 40 years strong in February. (Subject pauses) I do not really speak to my Dad anymore, but I get it. My childhood was good. I had loving parents. We were never rich, but I had everything I ever needed. No siblings, I did not mind that though.

Brigit-

I find that interesting Eddy, sorry, Ed. Some of our viewers may be shocked to hear you had such a normal upbringing. There must be more to Ed Bale.

Ed -

Why? Because you want there to be something odd about my past? Well there was not. Everything was normal. Everyone is always trying to find some deep twisted reason, but I have explained it one million times. I mixed my pills up. Simple. If that had never happened, none of us would be sat here today. One small mistake created all this. (Subject sighs, gestures his hands in an outward motion and tries to change the subject) What else can I say about me? I love watching movies. My favourites are the old Woody Allen pictures. I am more of a comedy fan and I hate horror movies. They are very unrealistic.

Brigit -

Ed, If I may, can we talk about... (Subject cuts Interviewer off mid-sentence)

Ed -

(Subject clearly uncomfortable and slightly angry) I like classical music because it calms me down and I hate ice cream because I have sensitive teeth! What? What do you want to hear? Do I have regrets? Yes! Would I do it again if I had a do-over? Hopefully not. Did I have a fucked-up childhood, NO! Did I like animals, YES of course I did! (Subject makes a tutting sound and turns to the side. He calms down) Look Brigit we all have urges, right? Well when I am sick, I do to. That is why I needed my pills, to suppress them. Maybe your urges are to stuff your face with chocolate. Maybe you like going to the Gym, maybe you love Crochet or getting coked out of your head on a weekend for all I know. Me, unfortunately mine are not as straight forward but I had them under control.

Brigit -

To hear you compare your past actions to eating a bar of chocolate or going to the gym is frankly concerning Ed. You are aware of how that may sound to our viewers at home?