2 | Jacha

They woke long before light rimmed the edges of Norhaven’s gate, Costel still yawning as they went to report in to the guard barracks for the day’s schedule. The sour taste of the dust was still heavy on her tongue and Jacha wondered if her siblings were now used to mixing it with their water. Already many citizens were awake, working on the last preparations for the End of Darkness ceremony that marked the return of Myesha’s power and the start of the Thaw for the people of Nor. The celebrations would last a week and the guards themselves would have their own chance to join in the frivolity, in the dancing and singing and mingling. But the first day of the ceremony was the most important and the city’s defence had its own role to play in it. The job was largely ceremonial – part of Nor tradition. It was one that Jacha had previously experienced, and she didn’t even have to glance at her brother’s face to know that he eagerly anticipated the event.

 Many of the older guards appeared exhausted from the mere anticipation of the day’s duties, tuning out as the Guard Commander, Roark Maeson, explained the task to the newest of the company. Jacha could not help but wonder if they’d tired of the history behind the ceremony as well.

“You shall stand as a shield,” Roark was saying, sounding almost as bored as his colleagues looked, “As the leaders and the disciples of Myesha bring the lantern down from the Trial House to Norhaven’s center. You will continue to stand until the end of the first night, the citizens will bring you back once that time is over. Be sure to take your day’s supply of dust because it’ll be a long vigil and the extra stamina will make it somewhat… easier. Nor’ Havest,” He called to Eitan who straightened himself under the commander’s watchful eye, “Pass the axes and talismans amongst our youngest members. You shall each be expected to keep these items in perfect condition for the ceremonies each year until you leave our ranks. Myesha has blessed them, look after them well.”

The eldest Shiel sibling was not sure if the commander believed his own words about the gods – agnoticism was not uncommon within Norhaven, though many knew better than to deny the presence of the deities out loud. She too had never seen anything to prove otherwise, and had raised the issue with her own parents at one point. She’d seen the glimmer of fear in their eyes, and they’d forbidden her from questioning it outside of the house.

She watched with affection as Costel took the objects with reverence, mouth hanging slightly open with awe. Whether thirty years or forty years passed, he’d never become as jaded as the older guards leaning against the wall, arms crossed with boredom and denial, even if the rest of them might.

The people of Norhaven bustled into the central sector of the city, carrying lanterns and food and fine clothes, children clasping jars of wax between their arms, grinning up at Jacha with toothy grins as they caught her gaze. A mother scolded her child as the little boy tried to take a scoop of an old man’s paints, though the elder just laughed and happily painted a sign of fire on the child’s hand when his mother was no longer looking. The child beamed as brightly as the summer sun; no doubt to proudly show it off to his friends once the festival begun.

Costel nudged her, having slipped away from the rest of his group, “When do you think this river of people is going to end? I’ve never had a sense of just how many people there are until now, waiting for them all to arrive.”

She eyed him in amusement, “Aren’t you supposed to be further down the line, or have you forgotten how picky Commander is about order?”

“It’s a festival, Jacha!” He said in protest, grinning, “Besides, if he catches us, you and I can get him drunk later so he’ll forget the whole thing.” Costel went back to offering smiles and waves to the younger citizens as they marched past, much to the disapproval of one Jacha knew to be of Costel’s year-mates. The man was rather short for his age and he quickly glanced away at her curious look.