Cursed

I walked down the path, the wobbly lane that connects the living world to the dead.

I drifted past many souls, hoping that they are the one that will be I choosing for the night.

You see, the dead are left with the memories of their lives, which they live (forgive the pun), through again and again with their heightened senses.

This means they will have to relieve their memories, each and every one of them, feeling ten times the feelings and emotions that they once felt.

The souls that are able to overcome the new heightened feelings will automatically leave this Land of the Dead for a better life. Or so they say. Nobody really knows what lies ahead after the Land of the Dead, but it's where all souls vie to be.

So, here's where I come in. I am cursed with a very special 'gift'. I am able to experience a memory for them, just one, but not just any memory, but the most prominent memory. One that would be most overwhelming for them. After I experienced that one memory, the rest is up to them.

Usually I would just pick the first soul I see, but today, I don't feel like doing anything. One memory each night is taking a toll on my body, physically and mentally, and I have chemistry tomorrow morning. Really, this 'gift' is so inconsiderate to me; it couldn't have found me when I'm no longer in high school.

Sighing, I continue drifting about. Many unfamiliar souls linger around me, their eyes begging me to just touch them. However, I search for my friends. They have helped me when I first came into The Land of the Dead, hopefully they can help me figure out if there's a way to take a break from this full time job I seem to have.

It's not that I wake up tired everyday, in fact I wake up full of energy. It's just that the memories I see everyday is getting way too troublesome. I can't concentrate on trigs if my mind is concentrating on seperating my emotions from the momories'.

From afar, I see silhouettes of my friends.

"Dave! Dan!" I yelled like a madman. Maybe yelled isn't the correct word. In this land, voices and sounds are not the same. Any voices or noise projected from me will be lost if it is not for an intended target in mind. The sounds will then be lost from me and appearing by my target's ear in a whisper. Yes, a whisper. No matter how loud I shout or scream, my targets can only hear in the volume of a whisper.

However, thank the heavens above, my friends are in tune with my voice, whisper or not, and are able to notice me in a split second. Daniel and Davis, brown-haired twins, with eyes as dark as the midnight sky, and skin as pale as milk, really are the intimidating pair. Formidable, even.

I remember the first time I met them. I have just finished vomiting when I realised that my dreams to the Land of the Dead was not mere dreams, and the memories, they were all real. It was my sixth trip there, and the twins were hovering before me, revealing my nagging subconscious which has been suspecting that this was all real.

Davis, cold and relentless. Daniel, warm and approachable. However both of them are hilarious troublemakers, even if David has a darker and evil sense of humor, the both of them had been a great help and comfort, guiding me through my entire journey, teaching me how to control the memories that I experienced.

The twins drifted to me in a great speed, their enthusiastic hellos in hushed whispers in my ears, or at least Daniel's hello. Davis on the other hand is sporting a thunderous expression.

I recently started to learn how to read Davis expression, and his tells me that nothing good awaits me tonight.

♡♡♡

Hi guys! Thank you so much for reading my story! I shall have short chapters, this so that I can update more often. If I do not at least update once a week, you have my permission to scream at me!!

Also, I am running out of reading materials. So if anybody has any good stories or even actual books to recommend, please, I beg tell me. I am starving for more stories. I have a preference of stories set in medieval times, steampunk and apocalypse. Hee.

Thanks a million!

Books and rain,

Analeigh.