Chapter II

~~~Author's Note~~~

Hey, guys, I'm back! This chapter's little longer. Trauma bonding time!

The girl was probably about seventeen. Her shoulder-length black hair, falling over her face in soft waves, had a streak of neon green in the front left. Her eyes were slate gray with a sheen of violet, and they were rapidly blinking closed.

Now was not a time to process the shock, though. Rex placed his hand against her cheek and turned her face towards him.

"Hey, stay with me," he said. "Keep your eyes open, you’re gonna be alright."

Rex looked behind him, and was relieved to see his men coming back. "Medic!" he yelled. "I need a medic!"

Thankfully, the droids that the girl had crushed with the pillar had been the last ones in the wave. A medic quickly hauled the girl back to the camp, and Rex went to look for General Skywalker. The sun was setting in the forested hills, and it looked like the day was over.

He found the general standing outside the medical tent.

"So," said General Skywalker. "Let one slip through the ranks, huh?"

"I don’t know how it happened, sir," said Rex.

"Any idea when?" asked General Skywalker.

"No, sir," said Rex. "But, the men are being questioned. We’ll soon find out."

"Did she have a motive?" asked the General.

"No one’s quite sure, sir," said Rex. "She didn’t appear to act out of anything self-serving."

The medic, a clone named Wren, came out of the tent.

"How is she?" said General Skywalker.

"She’ll be fine, sir," said Wren. "Her arm will take a while to heal, and she’s got a few slight ribcage fractures, but she’ll be fine."

"Is she awake?" asked Rex.

"Yeah," said Wren. "But she hasn’t said much. You can go try and get her to talk if you want. I’m not guaranteeing results, though."

"I’ll take my chances," said Rex, stepping through the door of the tent.

The girl was lying, eyes open, on a cot, stripped to her black undergarments and covered with a thin navy blanket. Her upper left arm was bandaged, and the blood had been cleaned away from the minor cuts on her face. Now that she was clean and calm, she was really quite pretty. Rex was surprised by the thought, and pushed it away as the girl turned towards him.