Chapter 5

He took off his helmet and rubbed his forehead again. Apparently, a polish wasn't enough; he frowned, looking a bit closer at the helmet, then shrugged and set it on the table. Around him, the Taurin were eyeing him with confusion, disbelief and more than a little intrigue.

"You're an ambassador?"

He'd been brought into the nest under armed guard, after having his revolver confiscated. He'd allowed them to take it on the condition they gave it back afterwards: if this was going to work, he had to subtly show authority, otherwise things would progress a lot less smoothly. They'd held him for a bit, explaining only that their leader was busy, and eventually he was brought to this room. Before him sat a Taurin council – he assumed that's what they were – comprised of five or six of the smaller ones, and a larger warrior who was relaxing in their chair at the back; their bright armour stood out against the dull stone walls.

"As you are Taurin, I am an Ambassador." He looked at them.

"I thought ambassadors were messengers," one of the Taurin muttered.

"I am a messenger also," Hiln offered. "A representative. My people don't call them ambassadors."

At least they accepted how I speak, he thought. What's up with that, anyway?

"What do you call them?"

"Messengers."

"Go figure," the larger one snorted. The smaller ones wheeled round to them. Hiln nearly laughed.

"Someone has a sense of humour. I like it."

"I'm in two minds about running you through," they returned, dead serious.

"I'd rather you didn't."

"I'm sure you would."

"I can prove you shouldn't." He paused for a moment. "What is your name, may I ask?"

"Grex," they replied after some thought.

"Grex. I am Hiln. It is good to meet you."

"Look, messenger, ambassador, Hiln, whatever..." one of the smaller ones started.

"Hiln is fine."

"...if you have any reason to be here, we want to hear it. Otherwise, get out, before I let Grex do what she's considering."

"You'd want a lot more than one swordsman to kill me..."

"Try me," Grex growled.

"...but I digress." Hiln looked around, fighting the sweat threatening to break out on his brow. "I have an offer."

When they kept staring at him without a word, he continued. "I would like to propose an alliance, of sorts."

"An alliance?" Grex laughed. "You don't know us at all."

"You are as alien to me as I am to you," Hiln admitted.

"Let me fill you in." Grex leaned towards the table, lowering her feet to the ground. "We're not the friendliest of creatures..."

"I'd guessed."

"...we do not play well with others. Our lives are defined by – actually, dedicated to – fighting wars. Let's be honest," they glanced to the others, "everything we do is to either protect her Highness or build up our army so we can wipe other Queens out. If you want proof, I will escort you to our library myself. We have not had more than a moon of peace since before the earliest records."

"And doesn't that tire you out?"

***

Grex wanted to say: "Not really." After all, what was she if not a soldier? It was what she was born for, why she was a relative behemoth and not one of the smaller workers; it was why she was given a bigger share of the food during her growth, why she was appointed squire of the last royal commander.

But in truth, these past few days, few weeks, had drained her and her troops. With Crevice becoming more active again, and spending time she wasn't fighting arguing with these advisors about whether she should march her army out to fight again despite them having just lost hundreds of their sisters in the bloodiest battle they'd seen...

She remained silent.

The alien before them looked at each of the advisors for an answer, its ears on the back of its long head twitching. She wondered if its people had voices just as high pitched, or whether this was just an annoying anomaly.

"Well, we can help you end the war, with your victory. That is my proposition."

"You can help us destroy Crevice?"

"We can help you defeat them and put them under your command."

Grex saw the Queen tilt her head. "What do you mean?"

"Think about it," Hiln replied. "If you wipe them out, burn their nest to the ground and everyone in it, who will farm the fields you have conquered? Who will maintain the libraries, or sweep the floors? Who will man the perimeter?"

"We can do all that."

"But wouldn't it be better if you didn't have to? If you could get someone else to do it for you?" Hiln shrugged. "Just imagine it: another colony, producing food and troops, all at your disposal. You would lead two colonies but only have to produce for one; the other would make itself, but at your beck and call. You would have access to their knowledge and their numbers as well as their resources; and, with the forces of two colonies, it wouldn't be difficult to expand to three, or four..."

"Or more."

"And once you have them all under your boot, you'd finally have peace."

The Queen thought for a bit, then asked: "How would you help us, Hiln?"

"The place I come from is very advanced," they explained. "We have tools at our disposal that could make twenty of your soldiers the equivalent of a hundred. Weapons that can outrange bows and shoot much quicker. Machines that can help you cover a day's march in minutes. We have brought many of these, as well as food and such with us from our home-world – and we are prepared to provide you with such things. We just ask a couple things in return."

"What would they be?"

"We have a camp, a couple of miles from here, to the east." They motioned that direction. "It isn't that large, but I am aware it may infringe on your borders. We only request that we be allowed to maintain this camp, and that you assist us on that front; providing us with food and water once our supplies run out, for instance."

"We will consider it," the Queen replied. "But your offer does sound convincing."

"I look forward to your reply." Grex saw the sides of the creature's mouth curve upwards.

Strange creature, she thought.