- T W O -

After abruptly ending their argument, Leon resigned to his cot and turned his back to Claire so she couldn't see he was awake

After abruptly ending their argument, Leon resigned to his cot and turned his back to Claire so she couldn't see he was awake. Again he asked her to stay and again she had said no. He didn't know how he could get through to her. Sherry needed Claire. H eneeded her.

That was his last thought before he finally drifted off to sleep again.

Leon abruptly awoke and sat up. His chest rose and fell heavily with each breath he took. Groans and calls for help got him to his feet faster and hurrying across the small space. This time it was Leon shaking Claire awake, his concern evident. Leon didn't think she had slept since they stumbled upon the abandoned motel.

He sat on the edge of the bed next to her, gently shaking her shoulder. "Claire, wake up. It's just a nightmare. I'm here. Wake up. Come to me."

With a gasp, Claire shut upright, her fists clenching the sheets as she struggled to catch her breath. Her worried eyes glanced around the semi-dark room while she tried to calm herself down.

"Deep breaths." Leon gently instructed her. "Inhale. Exhale. Inhale. Exhale."

She closed her eyes as she inhaled a deep breath and shakily exhaled. His hand was on her back, rubbing gentle circles as he continued to soothe her. Claire felt herself calm down when she recognized his voice. Her eyes opened again and with another sweep of the room, she remembered where she was.

"It's going to be all right."

Leon nearly fell off the bed when she threw herself into him. He tensed up, biting back his groan and ignoring the pain in his shoulder. It wasn't about him. This was about Claire and her wellbeing. Since their arrival, he had broken down in front of her multiple times while she held her composure. Whether it was for him, Sherry, or herself, Leon wasn't sure. Claire needed a shoulder and he had one good one to give her. He gently wrapped his arms around Claire, holding her to him while running a hand soothingly along the back of her head. His words came out in broken whispers while he struggled to keep himself together. Seeing her like this killed him. Leon didn't know how she planned on going through the unknown alone when they split.

"I don't know, Leon. I don't know if it's going to be all right." Claire cried, her body trembling in his arms. "Chris out there all alone scares the hell out of me. I can't lose him. Where do I even begin?"

Swallowing back the words he had uttered thousands of times since they escaped Raccoon City, Leon remained silent. He let her cry and vent out her fears and frustrations as Claire had done for him.

"Get it together, Redfield."

Leon sighed at her command. He pulled back, breaking the hug. His hands found her shoulders firmly grasping them as he locked his eyes with hers. Even in the dark, he knew exactly where her eyes were and the fear that was there.

"That's what you are not going to do, Claire."

"I have to be strong."

"Youarestrong." Leon corrected her. "You went through hell and survived. We saw and fought things that were only fictional in movies. A shitty reality, but you're stuck with those images forever. As am I. As is Sherry. It's up to us to be strong and keep going. Breaking down, crying, and opening yourself up is not a weakness."