A Normal Life?

Kairi's POV

"I can't believe we're all together again..." I said breathlessly. Sora looked at me, smiling his trademark full toothed grin as he chuckled slightly.

"Me either. But am I glad. I feel like I've been away from home... and you and Riku... for so long."

I placed my hand on top of his for a moment.

"Me too, Sora." I removed my hand, and I could've sworn I saw him blushing. I probably was blushing too, I could feel the heat rising in my cheeks as I looked away and back at the sun setting over Destiny Island's shore.

"Where's Riku?" Sora asked. I shrugged.

"Said he wanted some time alone to think."

"I can't believe I'm going back to school tomorrow... feels like forever since I lived a... "normal" life."

I peered over at him as he leaned back against the paopu tree on his palms.

"You'll be just fine, Sora. Trust me. Only thing is, you won't be taking your afternoon naps on the beach anymore." I said laughing a little.

Sora groaned. "I'm going to definitely miss that... all the heartless I fought, give a guy a break!"

We both stared at each other, then burst into a fit of unified laughter. It really did feel like old times here on the island. I admit, I was worried before the three of us reunited that things wouldn't feel the same. But here we were... back home... like no time had passed. Like nothing had changed, though we all knew it had.

"Guess we better head home and rest. No being a lazy bum tomorrow." I teased.

Sora scratched the back of his head, smiling. "I'll try my best, Kairi."

We leaped off the paopu fruit tree's long, sturdy branch, and walked along the shores together until my house came up.

"Night, Kairi." He said softly.

I smiled, leaning in to embrace him briefly. I could feel him tense up against me, probably in surprise, but he soon relaxed, and his arms encircled my frame gently in return. He felt warm. He felt safe. He always did. When I pulled away, Sora asked,

"What was that for?"

"That was because... I, I missed you."

Sora's face was definitely beet red this time as he stared back at me, and digested my answer to his question.

"I missed you too. Every day."

I blinked. "Really?"

He nodded. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, so fast I could hardly hear myself think.

He turned around to leave, and then turned on his heel to face me again.

"Night, Kairi."

"Night."

As he disappeared from view, I went inside and changed into my pajamas. As I waited to drift off to sleep, my mind naturally wandered to the question of how in the world you were supposed to tell your best friend that you had feelings for him. I came up empty, but decided that was okay for now, as long as I kept it in mind. I closed my eyes, feeling exhaustion take its course shortly after.

Sora's POV

My alarm going off made me jolt out of bed to the point where I fell out of bed, colliding with my carpeted floor. I groaned in pain, but then closed my eyes, curling up into a fetal position, trying to fall asleep again. There was a knock at my window, which gave me a scare all over again in my daze.