IV

In the morning, the news reported the scandal. Researchers had lost the body that was meant to be their greatest discovery. All that was left were skin samples, which proved the body had indeed existed, and was dated to be from 169 AD. However, none of the museum’s security footage had captured anyone coming or going from the building during the night. The cameras had not seen the tall, professional looking woman escorting a girl in a makeshift robe of sheets and blazer out of the building. 

No one commented on the strange way Asthore was dressed. Much like how she could not focus on Kiandra at first, no one seemed to be able to focus on them. They made their way home without any fuss. Kiandra had upgraded with the times, but there were still flowers surrounding the house. They plucked the flowers from Asthore’s hair and put them in the garden. 

Kiandra had clothes waiting for her. She had preserved a few of their old favorites, as well as modern clothes. She had books for Asthore, too, that she had acquired throughout the years. The first night they were home together, they didn’t even make it to Kiandra’s room. After their reunion, sometime in the early hours of the morning, they sat naked in the drawing room. Asthore ate cereal for the first time while she read and Kiandra watched television. Even something others thought mundane as this should have been overwhelming, but Kiandra had shared her knowledge in waking Asthore. Even as she experienced so many things for the first time, it softened the blow. 

The children in the town nearby insisted the house belonged to The Witch and her wife, but they were nice. They would ride their bikes to the isolated cottage on weekends, and Kiandra would bake them treats to take home and Asthore would dress up to tell them stories. The town never gave a second thought to Jason Murphy, who just happened to go missing a few days before Asthore arrived.

Kiandra didn't use magic to extend their lives anymore. They agreed to live their lives together as it should have been. When they came to their natural conclusions, the house's age began to show. The clothes aged the way they should have. The paper in the books yellowed and cracked.

The instructions in their joint will were seen through by most of the children who had loved them. They dressed the lovers in light fabrics, picked flowers from their garden and wove them into their hair, and brought them to the nearest fen. They buried them cradling one another. And there in the bog, they slept. 

AN: I know I said it was complete with just three chapters but I originally wrote a fourth. It's totally self indulgent, but I've decided to share it. I hope you enjoyed this short story.