Meeting Aleu Once Again

Balto and Jenna approached the modest dwelling where Kodi and Dusty lived, the soft crunch of snow under their paws adding to the tension already tightening in their chests. The anticipation of seeing their son brought a mix of excitement and unease. As they reached the entrance, Kodi appeared, standing tall and strong, his fur a striking blend of red and white that shimmered in the winter sunlight. His presence radiated a quiet strength, a reflection of both his wolf and dog heritage.

"Hey, Kodi!" Balto called out, his voice warm with the affection only a father could have.

Kodi's face broke into a smile. "Hey, Dad."

Jenna stepped forward, her voice soft with concern. "How are you feeling, Kodi?"

Kodi hesitated for a moment, his eyes flickering with thought before he replied, "Dusty's doing fine, and I'm okay too."

Jenna nodded, sensing the undercurrent of unease in her son's tone but choosing not to press. "I'm going to check on Dusty," she said, giving Balto a gentle look. "You two can catch up." With a final, reassuring smile, she made her way around the side of the house, disappearing into the cozy warmth of Dusty's kennel.

Balto and Kodi stood side by side, the silence between them comfortable yet charged. The crisp air was filled with unspoken words, until Kodi finally voiced a question that had clearly been weighing on his mind.

"Dad," he began slowly, turning to face Balto, "why can't you sleep?"

Balto was caught off guard, his brows knitting together in surprise. "How did you know?"

Kodi chuckled softly, a puff of warm breath escaping into the cold air. "Come on, Dad. It's kind of obvious. The dark circles, the way your eyes look... I've noticed."

Balto sighed, running a paw through his fur as if trying to shake off the weight of his thoughts. "I didn't realize it showed so much. I'm sorry, Kodi. Lately, I've been having strange dreams."

Kodi's expression softened with empathy. "What kind of dreams?"

Balto hesitated, his gaze drifting to the horizon as if the answers lay somewhere in the distant snow-covered peaks. Finally, he spoke, his voice heavy with the burden of what he had been carrying alone. "I keep dreaming that I'm standing on a cliff with Aleu. She's at the edge, about to fall, and she's calling out for me... but I can't move. I'm frozen, helpless."

Kodi was silent for a moment, absorbing the gravity of his father's words. "Do you think it means something?" he asked quietly.

Balto's eyes darkened as memories resurfaced. "I don't know, Kodi. But... something similar happened before. Aleu ran away, and I went after her. We ended up helping a pack of wolves hunt caribou. In my dreams, I keep seeing those wolves and the caribou again." He paused, a flicker of fear passing through his eyes. "I'm afraid it's a warning... that something bad is coming."

Before Kodi could respond, the moment was interrupted by the sudden arrival of Boris, his feathers ruffled and his expression frantic. The two polar bears, Muck and Luck, were close behind, their usual playful demeanor replaced with a rare seriousness.

"BALTO!" Boris shouted, his voice sharp with urgency. He was a striking figure, his white feathers contrasted by the black tips of his wings and the elegant headdress he always wore.

Balto turned, his eyes narrowing in concern. "Boris? What's going on?" He could see the fear in their eyes, mirroring the worry that was beginning to gnaw at his own heart. "Breathe, Boris. Calm down and tell me what's happened."

Boris took a shuddering breath, trying to steady himself. "Balto, you're not going to believe this... but we saw Duke!"

The name sent a jolt through Balto, his fur bristling with sudden anger. "Duke? What do you mean, you saw Duke?" His voice was a low growl, the weight of past memories crashing down on him.