His Bad Boy Heart

I wanted to try a cliche, but dark/light novel, so... here's one that's been trending a lot. Anyways, I hope you guys enjoy! 

>>>>>>>Chapter 1<<<<<<<<<

        There’s just something about staying late for a job on a weekday that’s unappealing. Even after having the opportunity to get used to it for a year now, it’s been a pretty hard thing to deal with. I yawn loudly, covering my mouth with my hand. It’s only 9:30, but I seem to get tired very easily. It was stupid to take a job at the only bank in town that closes at 10:00.

        I could curse myself to death, really, but it pays well, and I like the money.

        “You tired, honey?”

        My eyelids are still half shut as I turn towards my only company for the night. Clarissa’s worried eyes stare back at me, but her lips turn upwards in a healthy smile. Her dirty blonde but curled hair sits terribly messed up on her head. “No, I’m fine. Thanks.”

        Clarissa’s in the late 30s, narrowly going into her 40s soon. Sometimes, I feel like the only reason she actually still works here is to keep me company. I’ve seen Clarissa at work, and I know what she’s capable of. For a woman already in her mid-age, she can do a lot more than what a regular can.

        Clarissa taps the back of a pen on the counter in front of us in a bored manner. “This is a hard job, huh?”

        “Yeah,” I agree, sliding into the seat next to her. “I hate this job but I can’t help but continue working at it. How pathetic am I?”

        Clarissa chuckles. “Then why don’t you just quit?”

        “Because,” Silence. I pause to think about it. I’m not quite sure, to be honest. Besides the money, there’s… “It’s a nice way to kill time.” I shrug. “I don’t really know actually.”

        Her eyes dart to the wall clock behind me. “You don’t know?” This conversation is starting to lose it’s spark.

        “Yeah, I guess not.” I raise an eyebrow.

        “It’s 9:40, we get to leave in 20 minutes. Or…” She lingers of, looking at me mischievously. “We can leave now.”

        I shake my head. My eyes are starting to close on me. I need to stop falling asleep at such an early hour. “All I want to do is –”

        The chiming sound signally the opening of the front of the bank door opens. I curse under my breath along with Clarissa. Like we needed to take care of another customer at this hour.

        Clarissa is the first one to talk, tilting her head up to the customer as she does so. “Hello, sir, how may we help –”

        I hear her suck in a quick breath. I look up at her quickly and curiously turn to what she’s looking at. When my eyes caught a hold of what is in front of me, I can immediately feel my heartbeat quicken, too.

        Standing in front of us is a man. A man dressed in a black costume, gloves, and a mask. I might’ve mistaken him for an excited person 8-months late for Halloween if it was not for the small gun he has in his hands.

        His eyes scan around the room before landing on the both of us. My body immediately freezes. Luckily, Clarissa still had the situation in mind. She  slides her body behind the counter and presses me down along with her one arm.

        Silently and mildly out of breath, we both press our backs to the counter. Even though we know he knows we’re here, we try to make as less noise as possible. My heart thumps wildly. I can feel a bit of sweat sweeping through my palms.