Chapter 6

>>>>>>>>>>>>Chapter 6<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

   Caroline, Phoebe, Isabella, Melissa and I are sitting in a car, blasting the radio. Occasionally, we attempt to dance, but stuffing five fully grown girls into one car doesn’t really leave much space. Even though we are on a highway, Melissa insists on opening the window as much as possible. She claims it’s a “teenage thing to do” and we ought to be “crazy and wild like her sometimes.”

        Caroline, on the other hand, doesn’t like that idea very much. She sits on the passenger side and screams as all of us start to open the car windows. Her hands automatically go to her hair as she tries to stop it from flying around. “Shut the windows! Shut the windows!

        The rest of us can’t help but laugh at how overdramatic she’s being. To be fair though, she did spend the longest amount of time readying herself before we left. “Oh, come on!” Melissa says, bending over to the front of the car so she can talk to Caroline. “We’re just hanging out as friends! Who cares if you look like a hot mess?”

        “I do! I do!” Caroline yelps. Freeing one hand, she tries to reach over and close her window, only to be disappointed when it runs down again. She opens her jaw and turns to look at Isabella, who is currently driving the car. Isabella has a hand on the master control buttons, and it’s obvious that she was the one who opened the window on Caroline’s side. “What are you doing to me, Bella?” Caroline screeches.

        Isabella quickly glances at Caroline and gives her an apologetic smile. She turns off the radio so we can kind of hear her. “I’m sorry, Caroline. I just feel that we should just all relax and have fun for now.”

        “You were once on the good side.

        Poor Isabella – being the polite, nice, girl that she is, actually looks offended by what Caroline said. I’m about to interrupt them and tell Caroline to stop being such a baby when Phoebe jumps in for me. “Okay, Caroline.” She says. “Stop being such a little wimp. You look gorgeous and you know it.”

        Caroline looks relieved when Isabella finally closes all windows, despite our protests. The comment that she said to Bella probably actually hurt her enough to make her let Caroline do what she wants. She groans in frustration and pulls down the shade with the mirror to check herself out. “I know.” Caroline says, fixing her hair. “It’s just that it’s been like, a month since Julian and I broke up and I just think that I should’ve moved on by now.”

        “A month is a pretty short time, to be honest.” I chip in. I keep my tone as calm and nice as I can so I can make sure that she doesn’t take offense to it. Caroline is a sweet girl. She’s just very sensitive about these subjects.

        Caroline closes the sun visor and sighs. “Long enough.” She says. “And I checked on his Facebook yesterday. He’s already moved on. I got to meet someone new today.”

        “Maybe you should stop meeting guys at clubs.” Melissa points out. “Maybe you’ll find better boyfriends this way.”

        Caroline turns around in her seat to glare at Melissa. “What are you trying to say?”

        Uh-oh. This can turn ugly. “Nothing,” Melissa says. She puts on her innocent face. “I’m just saying –”

        “Okay!” I interject waving my arms between the two. We came out as a group of friends and we really don’t need to start fighting before we get to Jason. “No fighting allowed. We’re out here to have fun as friends, remember that guys, friends. That means we’re friendly towards each other.”