quarantine blues

Josephine

I can't believe my flight has been delayed for three hours and the airline company I'm booked with doesn't even give me enough explanation. I wanted to be out here. I wanted to go back to Australia. I wanted to go home. Not in this shitty place I ended up in.

"Do you want cream on your coffee?" a lady asked her husband who's sitting unbothered with a book. The British accent is slowly making me sick. I hate it here. I HATE HIM.

The fact I had to spend my one-month vacation with him, to make up for the lost time we had ever since he's back home and keeps on messaging saying he misses me more than ever. Only to find out he's been hanging out with a girl while he's drunk the night before I land. I mean, it was all over social media. I didn't even ask for it. It's right there in front of my face telling me "hello stupid bitch". I am stupid for believing him, that we can work. This long-distance thing doesn't make the heart grow fonder, someone will cheat. And I'm not going to be that someone. He is.

I check my phone once again and it's been going off for as long as I am here. I wish I hadn't knocked on his apartment door, wished I hadn't seen his guilty face while he stands there topless currently nursing a hangover.

"W-what are you doing here, babe?" he stutters while looking down at my suitcase and I have my phone up to his face playing the evidence I have.

"I have this shit right up to your face and that's what you're going to ask me? Really? How pathetic can you be?" I ask, trying to keep my tears in.

"Baby, I can explain. It's not what you think."

"Tell me then. Were you in the same room with her?" I fire him with questions.

"I was but -"

"Did you fuck her?" I know he has history but he's proven to me for long that I can trust him, maybe this is the time he's breaking it.

"God, no! Why would you think that?"

"Were both of you drunk?" Hero can be a lot to deal with when he's drunk. He goes all-in with his friends most of the time but I know and trust his circle of friends. The people he's hanging out with on the video I don't even recognize.

"Yes! Baby, but nothing happened..." he slowly rubs his eyes, his green eyes lighter under the blaring sun. He slowly shakes his head and grips his brown, unruly hair, he looks at me confused. "I don't know."

I gasped loudly and I can feel the tears pricking the back of my eyes. I wipe them as soon as they fell on my cheeks.

"Jo, come in. We can talk inside." He grabs my arm gently, pulling me in but I cannot deal with his lying ass for another second. I grab my suitcase and hailed for a cab. When one didn't come, I pull up Uber on my phone and booked for one. Thankfully, the driver will be here in five minutes.

"Babe, stop! I want to talk. Talk to me." He grabbed my phone from my hands and I tried reaching it but this asshole is so much taller than I am, I can't. His hands are caressing my cheeks but I look away. I don't want to look at his face right now.

I don't want to make a scene in the front of his apartment and look like a psycho girlfriend so I asked him nicely to give me my phone back. Maybe that will work.

"Just give my damn phone, Hero." The mixed emotions I'm feeling made me tear up and my voice cracks. "Just give it to me, please."

Surprisingly he gives it to me without any objection and with good timing, my Uber pulled up in front of me so I wheeled my suitcase in and left him standing there.