Chapter 1: Capture and Escape

Main Character's P.O.V
Year 1106

'There goes the birds fly and the cats roam' I thought to myself as I swing the axe, splitting the log into two. I am currently chopping wood in our back yard with father.

Grandfather was teaching the twins to fish and find food since they're getting older.

Mother, grandmother, and sister were helping each other with household chores.

I heard a loud creak, signalling someone has opened the back door. My sister's voice echoed throughout the yard.

"Zelus! Are you free?"

"Yeah! I'm very free. I'm certainly not busy chopping wood" I replied sarcastically.

"Cool. Can you send this to that old lady?"

I dropped my axe and turned to my sister. "Are you dumb? You're supposedly older than me! And aren't you the one who was ordered?"

Scrunching up her nose, she replied "Ughh, I'm older and I can literally order you around like Father"

"Hey! Don't drag me into this" Father chuckled. "But seriously, not because you're older doesn't mean you can order everyone around" He rose from his seat under the tree.

Ariel put both hands on her hips and rose an eyebrow "Sooo, does that mean you don't get to order us around?"

"Pfttt" I couldn't contain my laughter and basically disturbed our neighbours.

Father choked on his cigarette and rested his arm on the tree branch. "No, actually, I take back what I said. Zelus, obey your sister"

"WHAT!?" I shouted angrily

They both laughed at me, and Ariel started walking to me with a basket on her hands. I backed away and said "NO!! No way! I've been chopping wood all day, why me?"

She laughed loudly. "Beca-" She was cutoffed by our mother's highpitched scream. All our heads whipped to the door and startes to sprint into the house.

"VELINA! MOTHER!" Our father called out. Once we reached the kitchen. The sight of blood found its way to my field of vision.

Me and my sister's eyes widened. Our father fought the orc that was feasting on our mother and grandmother's body.

Father jumped on him and stabbed him over and over again. Every stab cost a splat of blood on our faces and clothes, ruining our scrubs.

My eyes started to cloud my vision and my ears rang. Nothing doesn't seem to fit into my mind. 'Mother? Grandma? Th- They're dead?' The thought was like poison in my mind.

The orc fell down on the floor just as the door flew open, revealing grandfather and our younger brothers. They instantly ran up to our mothers and cried loudly.

"A-amelia." Grandfather choked out. His voice quivering over and over again as her repeatedly chanted her wife's name. He hugged her corpse, her blood staining his robes. I hugged my sister, burrying my face onto her neck.

She placed her hand on my head, reassuring that everything's okay. No, everything is not okay. Anger boiled inside of me. I will kill every orc there is. My hands turned into fist.

"Father, take my children and go." My father barely said the words.

"No...," He took a sharp intake of breath. "I lost my wife and daughter, don't let me lose another son."

"Father, I'm certain there's an emergency carriage for survivors. GO!" More orcs found their way to our back yard, they managed to break our wooden fence.