You Should've Walked Home

I pulled off to the side of the road and rolled my window down.
The young woman greeted me with a smile, she wasn't beautiful but she was far prettier than most hitchhikers I've come across.
"Any chance you could give me a ride, sir?" she asked.
"Where to?" I asked.
"Jacksonville." she said.
I hesitated.
"uhhh, I don't know," I said, looking at my watch.
"C'mon, please, If I walk it'll take hours." She pleaded.
"Fine." I said
I unlocked the passenger car door and
gestured for her to get in.

The sun was relentless, it must've been at least 95 degrees. The young woman's face shimmered with sweat.
"So where ya headed?" she asked.
I choked on my words and could only stutter like an idiot.
"I- uhh I-..."
"Medford" I finally managed to blurt out.
"Oh, never heard of it."
"Its only a few miles from Jacksonville, real small, rural area. Not many people know about it."
"Oh." she said.
She actually seemed to believe me, thank God.
I turned the key in the ignition and drove.

I had been driving for almost an hour now, we haven't spoken to each other in a while. She just sat there with her eyes closed, letting the cool wind blow in her face. I knew she wasn't asleep because she would occasionally sing the lyrics to the songs that played on the car stereo.

We were traveling on a long narrow road, which almost looked unending. Nobody would've been around for miles in any direction.
I gently leaned my foot against the break pedal, we came to a slow stop. She looked confused.
"Outta gas" I lied.
"What? Are you kidding me!?" she panicked.
"It's alright, I've got a gallon in the trunk, I'll just go and get it." I said calmly.

I got out of the car, went around to the trunk and grabbed my crowbar, which was still bloody from last time. I stood at the trunk, staring at the dead woman that lay inside, I was searching for a deserted area to dump her body, that's when I came across the young woman now sitting in the passenger seat. I closed the trunk and got back in the car.

"You filled the tank already? That was fast." She said.
I just stared at her, she stared back at me, her blue eyes sparkled like sapphires. 
I could tell, for a short moment, she knew something was wrong.
"You should've walked home." I whispered.

I struck her repeatedly over the head as hard as I could. Blood ran down her face. She looked much prettier now.

                              [ END ]