Chapter 3

Chapter 3

What would be the best course of action here? Wait and greet the driver, maybe get a ride to the closest town? Or dash into the shrubbery and simply avoid it, as one common sense would dictate not everyone is friendly on the road. Mixing the two, I got over to the side of the path opposite the side the driver would be sitting on.

My size and strength alone made me confident I could hold my own against the average person in an all out brawl. The thought comforted me and pushed the anxiety away, while the carriage was about to pass.

One of the beasts behind me Whinnied, and slowed to match my pace. I looked to see a dark skinned man with dusty sun worn hair, and gentle eyes. He made a few clicks and coos and ahs at me and then just stared.

The silence had dragged on far longer then what would be pleasant. A quick "Eh?" and a tilt of my head prompted the man to repeat those same noises. We once again stared at each, and he shook his head.

Running his fingers through his hair and tilting his head back, he muttered something else. The small hatch over his shoulder slid open slightly, revealing the inside of the lit carriage. He turned his head back towards me for just a moment and then into the carriage itself.

His head shook to the left and right a few times, and then nodded quickly. With a long sigh, he stood up and shimmied over to the other side of the seat and pushed his hand out to me.

I'm sure I had a goofy look on my face, as I was thinking if I should accept the ride. As there was no telling where the destination would be. It wasn't as if I had anything to lose really. So I accepted the help.

Being closer allowed a much better look at the man. He seemed older than me. What stood out the most; however, was that despite his small frame this man emitted a ton of pressure. Grabbing his hand confirmed my suspicions about his strength.

He almost lifted me onto the carriage himself before scooting towards the left side of the bench-like seat. The seat was cushioned which was the most luxurious seat I'd experienced in a lifetime. Legroom on the other hand was in short supply. The driver didn't seem to have an issue due to his smaller size.

The footrest part of the seat, that I was unable to use, had a bright blue trim, which seemed to be glowing. It was like nothing I had ever seen and was mesmerizing to look at. Following the trim led me to the body of the carriage, which I only now realized just how ornate it was. Blacks and gold adorned the entire cab. Just who had picked me up?

From what I could gleam, whomever I had accepted help from seemed to be quite wealthy. Which both worried and comforted me. On the one hand, a person with money wouldn't need to steal or rob me. But I also knew many wealthy people had side businesses of dubious nature. Organ harvesting and the like. I made a point to stay at least slightly on guard.

A strange cold wind swept across my neck, sending a shiver across my body. The voice from behind me sent yet another.

"Where are you heading, stranger?" The voice questioned slowly.

I turned to meet a pair of emerald eyes, gazing back at me. Below them a pair lips crimson with lipstick, curved into a sultry smile. And even below that, a chin resting on a hand. It's finger tapping gently on her cheek bone. Her golden curly hair falling over her shoulder was the cherry on top to this woman.

"Oh? Do you not understand me? I'm quite sure I heard you speaking Enochian a moment ago, perhaps I was mistaken after all."

Her smile furrowed down in disappointment. She lifted her hand off her chin