Chapter 2

"You're not superman you don't have any superpowers so there's no reason NO REASON why you should ever be anywhere by yourself. With Hayden, maybe, possibly that's okay but by yourself no. And im sick of it. I'm sick of worrying about you Mason. Do you even care about your life. Do y-"

"Moooom, being by myself and hanging by the cliff is what keeps me sane. High school isn't the same as it was when you were young its stressing." I continued drying my bra length multicolored hair until
It was only slightly wet. Done with my hair I wrapped the towel around my half naked body. "Plus if I was a superhero id be black widow but superman...no"

"There are better ways to de stress honey. What about poetry? Sports? You like volleyball why not volleyball? That's way better than being alone in the woods and walking home with your dress stuck to you with you're goodies sticking out."

" If its my goodies we're talking about then maybe having me strip to my underwear on the front porch wasn't the best idea."

"That's not fair Mase, I just had the carpets cleaned"

"And they're beautiful."

"Don't change the subject mason"

"I'm not. this subject is never gonna change. I'm gonna always go to the cliff and you're gonna always worry even though we live in this town where NOTHING happens."

"Never get comfortable because the world is never clear of chaos" I walked out of the bathroom and past my mother heading down the hallway toward my room.

"Okay mom how about this. If I live to be 18 and go to college I win and if i die or get kidnapped, then you win"

"Mase that's not fu-" I closed the door mid speech ending the argument im involved in every other day. I hated having these arguments but I didn't, no, I can't be done with the cliff. It's my lifeline. What makes me ME. I stripped down what was left of my earlier outfit and opted for a Harvard sweatshirt and a pair of sweatpants. I took a glance outside of the window, trying hard to see past the rain and into the woods. I stared intently daring not to blink so that I wouldn't miss any possible shadows still lingering out at the edge of the forest. I don't know what was about this trip through the woods that had me totally spooked. I've been walking by myself for years but why today, did I decide to be afraid of my only Allie. Maybe my mom was finally winning this battle.

I decided to leave the shadows exactly where they were, outside. My stomach was starting to eat itself so I decided to see if dinner was done yet. I opened my door to darkness, a lone light shining through below me. I entered the living room to find my mom, dad, my older brother and my two younger sisters sitting on the couch watching a reality show, laughing. With out me. And no smell of food in the air.

"What are we not having any dinner tonight. Are we ordering take out?"

"In this weather? Whose gonna risk it?" My older brother, Vincent, tore his eyes away from Tv screen.

"Then what am I gonna eat?" I walked toward my parents. My father laughed at my anger.

"How long have you been sleep Mason, your mom already cooked dinner. We asked you did you want to eat and you refused it. So eventually we finished it off. "

"Sleep? I wasn't sleep I've been upstairs for about 15 minutes. TOPS. And you guys forgot about me and left me to starve and die"

"Really Mase Starve and Di-"

"Is this because of me going to the cliff again"

"Mason why would I do that im your MOTHER. We already told you we asked you, you said no. You're just drowsy from waking up."