chapter 9 - nicholas flamel

Hermione and Ileana came back to Hogwarts the day before term started, hoping that Harry and Ron at least found something about Nicholas Flamel. It was a shock for the both of them when they found out they hadn't. Although it seemed Hermione cared more about the fact that Harry had been out of bed again, roaming the castle at night ('If Filch had caught you!'). They had almost given up hope of ever finding out who Nicholas Flamel was.

   Once term had started, they skimmed through books for ten minutes during their breaks. Harry, however, had less time than they did because Quidditch practice had started again.

   While Harry was at practice, they used one of their breaks for free time rather than checking every book in the library, again.

   "Hey, you can't do that!" said Hermione, whose face fell horrified when Ron's bishop jumped on top of one of her pawns, smashing it several times.

   "It's Wizard's Chess! It's completely allowed." said Ron.

   Chess was the only thing Hermione ever lost at, which Ileana thought was good for her.

   Ileana chose to sit out this time. She's played too many games on holiday that she didn't feel the need to play more. Instead, she popped open a box of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, eating them randomly and then spitting it out if she hated the flavour. The floor was covered in an assortment of reds, greens, and browns.

   Harry came barging in from the portrait hole, wet and muddy.

   "Are you alright, Harry? You look terrible." Ileana said, spitting out a grass-flavoured bean at his foot.

   Ron and Hermione stopped playing for a moment. Harry spoke quietly so that no one else would hear, and told them about Snape's sudden, dark desire to be a Quidditch referee.

   "Don't play." Hermione said at once.

   "Say you're ill." Ileana suggested.

   "Pretend to break your leg."

   "Really break your leg." Ron said.

   "I can't. If I back out, Gryffindor can't play at all." Harry explained.

   At that moment Neville jumped into the common room and toppled over. How he managed to get through the portrait hole was left in question because his legs were bound together by the Leg-Locker Curse.

   Everyone in the common room fell about laughing, except Hermione, who performed the counter-curse immediately.

   "What happened Neville?" Ileana asked, helping him up and leading him over to sit with them.

   "Malfoy," Neville said shakily. "I met him outside the library, said he'd been looking for someone to try it on."

   "You've got to stand up to him!" Ron said. "He's used to walking all over people, but that's no reason to lie down in front of him and make it easier."

   "There's no need to tell me I'm not brave enough to be in Gryffindor, Malfoy's already done that." Neville choked.

   Harry reached into his pocket and pulled out a Chocolate Frog. He handed it to Neville who looked like he was about to cry.

   "You're worth twelve of Malfoy," Harry said. "The Sorting Hat chose you for Gryffindor. And Malfoy? He's in stinkin' Slytherin."

   Neville showed a small smile as he unwrapped the Chocolate Frog.

   "Thanks, Harry...I think I'll go to bed...D'you want the card, you collect them, don't you?"

   As Neville walked away Harry looked at the Famous Wizarding card.