THE BATTLE

The sun began its descent, casting long shadows over the rugged terrain. The air crackled with tension as Aleu's pack stood their ground, their fur bristling with anticipation. The arrival of Kal's pack had caught them off guard, and Aleu wasted no time in demanding answers.

"Is that your pack, Kal?" she asked, her voice dripping with defiance. Her eyes narrowed, scrutinizing the approaching group of wolves.

Kal shook his head, a solemn expression etched upon his face. "No, Aleu. That is not my pack," he replied, regret seeping into his voice. He stepped aside, yielding to a figure emerging from the back of the pack. It was Fengen. Aleu's heart skipped a beat as her eyes fell upon Fengen. He commanded attention and exuded an aura of dominance. His muscular frame was draped in sleek, charcoal-black fur, accentuated by scars that bore witness to his ruthless battles. His piercing ice-blue eyes gleamed with a calculated malice that sent shivers down the spines of those who dared meet his gaze. Fengen's every movement oozed power and cunning. He towered above the average wolf, his presence casting an ominous shadow over the clearing. His fangs, sharp and deadly, glistened in the waning light. A surge of adrenaline coursed through Aleu's veins as Fengen locked eyes with her. His voice, dripping with a mixture of arrogance and ambition, shattered the silence.

"Who are you?" Aleu inquired, her heart pounding in her chest.

"I am Fengen, my dear. I..." but he was swiftly interrupted by Balto.

"Call my daughter 'my dear' one more time, and you will bitterly regret it!"

"Ah," Fengen sneered. "You must be the great Balto. So, this is your daughter? How delightful!"

"What do you want?" Aleu asked, her voice carrying a solemn tone.

"Me?" Fengen retorted sarcastically. "Oh, nothing special. I simply wish to become the Alpha of your pack."

Every single wolf was growling fiercely, ready to fight. It almost felt like they were born only to fight.

"Calm down, friends," Fengen said, his voice laced with a hint of amusement. "It's not time yet."

"Why are you doing all this?" Aleu confronted, positioning herself defiantly in front of everyone. Her eyes bore into Fengen's, seeking answers.

Fengen chuckled darkly, his laughter echoing through the air. "Because I promised," the wolf declared, a twisted satisfaction tainting his words. "Some time ago, I swore that I would make you regret being born, and here I am... keeping that promise." Aleu's heart clenched, the weight of her pack's safety resting heavily upon her.

But then, a glimmer of hope sparked within her. An idea, however risky, began to take shape in her mind. She stepped forward, her voice steady but filled with determination. "There is another way," she proposed. "A way to prevent innocent souls from perishing."

Fengen's curiosity piqued, and he regarded Aleu with intrigue. "And what would that be?" he inquired, his tone laced with a mix of skepticism and amusement.

"A one-on-one fight," Aleu proposed. "The victor's pack shall triumph, while the defeated shall suffer the consequences."

A devious smile played upon Fengen's lips as he contemplated the proposition. "All right," he acquiesced. "But as the ancient tradition dictates, the rival pack must decide who shall face the challenge."

Aleu hesitated for a moment, torn between her duty and her desire to protect her loved ones. Finally, she spoke, her voice steady but laced with sorrow. "And whom do you choose?" she asked, her eyes scanning the faces of her pack members before settling on a wolf with grizzled fur and eyes as golden as the sun.