Chapter 7

Chapter 7

            As I stepped out onto the balcony of the large carpeted staircase leading down to the crush of bodies in the marble ballroom, there was an awe of silence. I looked down at the many faces of friends, family, and foreign reign all there to celebrate my big sister and fiancée. The hushed crowd stared up at me in approval, the first I’d had in a long time. I listened, waiting for the stir of soft whispers, before making my way gracefully down the grand stairwell.

            I entered the swaths of people, feeling the smoldering heat radiating off the large bushels of people surrounding me.

            “Lady Amelia,” a man with graying hair and a bowtie mustache called me, “you look ravishing this fine afternoon.”

            I laughed. “As do you, Sir Dunnes, but I could hardly call it afternoon, t’is only twelve-thirty.”

            Dunnes laughed before turning back to greet a fellow companion. I smiled and continued to make my way through the crowd.

            “Lady Amelia,” a strong Swedish accented voice came from behind me, “t’is a pleasure to see you.”

            I turned in astonishment to see the young man who was the splitting image of my Zackary. My jaw dropped slightly, before turning into a large, toothy smile. “Why, Ames,” I couldn’t help but giggle a little, “long time no see!” I cried, the breath catching in my throat.

            The short blond hair and bright eyes made me want to cry, but I held my composure.

            Ames smiled, flashing his pearly teeth, “As you.” I had met Ames countless times at balls and other functions held here at the castle, but it had been over two years since I’d seen the handsomely stocky young man of twenty-five.

            “Do tell, me, how have you been?” I asked politely. He came up to me, giving me a kiss on the cheek, barely missing my full lips.

            “Amazing, so much has happened over the past few months, you wouldn’t believe it.” he told me. I linked my arm with his and began to move through the crowd toward the grand doors leading to the backyard.

            “How is your bride-to-be?” I asked. The words tasted bitter to say, but I didn’t let him take notice to it.

            “Oh, you heard about that.” I saw a red tint of a blush stretch across Ames’ cheeks under his baby blue eyes.

            “Of course, I did,” I gave him a playful nudge on the shoulder.

            He laughed, placing a hand on the lower part of my back as we left the large crowd and headed to a quiet area in the first of many gardens. “I just thought –”

            “Just because you were my first and I yours does not mean we were meant to be.” I broke in, leaning close to his ear, making sure no one heard. It was true; I was not a virgin like most of the women who followed strict orders to wait until the faithful marriage night. I could remember it clearly; it was the day of my eighteenth birthday when I found out I would be arranged to marry the handsome aristocratic man, and I’d refused at first. As the days went by, and I saw Ames more and more, I began to fall for him.

 A week after I turned eighteen, Ames and I were at a function my mother was holding. We’d been sitting on the edge of the large fountain in the bailey, watching clouds pass by. Ames had grabbed my hand and I turned to look at him. As I met his eyes, I felt as though I was with Zac, though I clearly knew I wasn’t. I felt my heart flutter as I peered into Ames eyes.