TWENTY-TWO

Sweet Child Of Mine| Guns N' Roses

|

|

"Here," Vlad says softly and reaches a hand out towards me, lifting me up when I take it. "Did you do this?" He asks, gesturing with his gun to the dead men around us. I nod.

"It offends me that you're surprised by that," I reply, flinching when I lift a hand to the back of my head, fingers coating in a thin layer of blood. I wipe it against my vest and frown as I look at him. "Why are you down here?" I ask him and drop my gun to the floor when I realize it's empty.

"We've cleared all the rooms upstairs." A new voice informs me and Spencer jogs out from the stairs, hair a mess as splatters of blood sketch onto his face and hands. He nods at me when he stills. "Dimitri is doing a final run-through." He says and I raise a brow.

"Alone?" I ask, looking between them.

"He sent us to find you," Vladimir answers with a shrug and I roll my eyes before looking around. "What?" He asks as if he's in my mind with me. He frowns as well. "What are you thinking?" I step forward, leaning down to look at the body of the first man I shot.

"I don't know. Something feels off." I say and look back at him.

"We won, Irene. Let's just take the win and get out of here." Vlad protest, but then sighs. Looking around as well, eyes meeting mine as he shakes his head. "It was a remarkably easy fight." He says and I stand up with a nod.

"Too easy," I say and he looks between Spencer and I with an exaggerated eye roll.

"So, what are we missing?" He asks and leans against the wall, resting his head back. "We came in and we took them out and now we're here. What's between the lines?"

"They're awful shots," Spencer speaks up and nods. "Almost all of them missed the first time they shot at us and even then, they were terrible fighters altogether." I nod.

"Did you find the Don?" I ask Vlad and he shakes his head with a raised brow. "His son? Were any of the men you took out on the pictures that Noelle had?" I ask and they both shake their heads. I scoff. "What the hell is going on here?"

"There you are!" Someone shouts, running up from the room I was supposed to clear before I was cornered. Noelle breathes heavily as she stops in front of us. "You guys need to see this." She says and points to the direction she came from before turning and walking. I look back at the room behind us, eyes lingering on the staircase in case Dimitri comes from there before following her as well.

"Where are we going?" Vladimir asks and Spencer looks around as we walk pointing his gun into every room we pass.

"Remember how we thought the room next to the armory was a safe room?" She asks and we nod. She shakes her head as she pushes open the door. "Well, we were wrong." We all step into the room, the smell of gunpowder and gasoline attacking the senses as we do. She sighs. "Very wrong." She adds watching as Vlad and Spencer rummage through what appears to be ingredients for a bomb.