11 - Talk

"Can we talk?" Flash Thompson standing in the doorway of Miles's hotel room the night before their championship was not something he counted on

"Can we talk?" Flash Thompson standing in the doorway of Miles's hotel room the night before their championship was not something he counted on. There was an odd number of students, so Miles had been lucky enough to be rooming by himself and normally this would be a good thing, but he just ended up feeling alone. He was grateful for some company, even if it was Flash. Without a word, he turned to the side and opened the door so the boy could enter.

"What's up? Shouldn't you be down at the pool with everyone else?" Miles asked as he closed the door and leaned against it, crossing his arms as he looked the boy up and down. "I feel like we're just wasting time with how much we keep talking when I think we both know there's nothing left to hold onto."

Flash sighed, looking as if this was the last thing he wanted to hear, "That's the thing, though, I don't... I don't believe that there's nothing left of us. I did a shitty thing and I understand you hating me because of it and I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I did and I'm sorry that I can't take it back, you know this. I can never get you alone from Claudia long enough for you to actually hear me out --"

"Can everyone stop treating me like Claudia's my fucking bodyguard?" Miles snapped, remembering his conversation with Betty earlier. "I can think for myself, believe it or not."

"That's not what I meant, I'm sorry," the boy recanted as he sat down on one of the beds with a sigh, "I just... I understand if you hate me, but if you do, I need you to tell me now. I don't know if I'm overthinking, but I feel like I'm getting mixed signals from you. I mean, one minute you're cursing me out and the next we're making out on a kitchen counter and that isn't healthy for either of us and you know it. So, if you hate me that's fine. If you wanna part ways as friends, that's fine, I just need you to tell me. You already know what I want, I just need to know if we're on the same page or not so I can respect your feelings."

Miles sighed, letting his head fall back against the door, "I wish... I wish more people saw this side of you, you know? That's one thing I always struggled with when we were together. With me, you were the sweetest person, you're understanding, in touch with your feelings... mostly. But the second we stepped foot on campus it was all Penis Parker and other shit. I just... I don't think I'll ever understand you."

"You're avoiding my question," was all Flash said. Miles knew he was right because in truth, Miles didn't know what he wanted. He loved Flash and that sickened him because he had never even been in love before so why of all people did his first love have to be Flash Thompson? It was completely and utterly unfair. Even worse? He loved Flash, but he wasn't sure if he could trust him.

Miles let himself sink to the floor against the door, his arms resting on his knees as he shot Flash a pointed look. With little hesitation, as if a silent communication had passed between them, Flash stood from the bed and sat on the floor next to Miles.

With a heavy head, he turned to look at the boy next to him, meeting his eyes. He wanted to kiss him and he hated that he wanted to kiss him.

"What are you thinking right now?" Flash whispered, his voice so careful and quiet Miles wasn't even sure if he heard him correctly.