Charter 1

Autumn night of the District of Columbia is freezing cold and quiet. No more violent protests or frenzy rallies. Time from Election Day is left to two days only. Things are not appearing well to President T. Not only the pandemic is getting worse, but also the polls are showing a huge deficits between President T. and his competitor.

Adding to the depression, the youngest son and the grand daughter of President T. both got infected from schools. Bryant, the President's youngest son, was tested positive for COVID-19 and was believed to get infected during a Halloween party. But he didn't show any symptoms and appeared strong probably because of his young age. However, Ashley, the President's grand daughter, wasn't so lucky. She was taken to hospital yesterday as she was coughing badly and having hard time to breath. Outside the first family, the virus is still out of control, although US is no longer the number one in the new infected cases and death rate. Everyday there are still 20-30 thousands of reported cases and the number of new deaths dropped but it is still in the ballpark of 500. As the winter is coming, hospitals are reaching their capacity and many disassembled temporary wards are being rebuilt.

Ashley was well known to sing and recite Chinese songs and poems in front of Chinese President X. She studies Chinese at school and loves to learn about Chinese culture. She has more than two dozen of qipao that fits very well. However, laying on the ICU bed, she appears pale and weak. Beeping sound from the machine is reminding everyone in the room that there is little life struggling and fighting through this ordeal. 

Half asleep, Ashley is still singing the Chinese poem, 

"zhao ci bai di cai yun jian

朝 辞 白 帝 彩 云 间,

qian li jiang ling yi ri huan

千 里 江 陵 一 日 还。

liang an yuan sheng ti bu zhu

两 岸 猿 声 啼 不 住,

qing zhou yi guo wan chong shan

轻 舟 已 过 万 重 山。"

President T. was holding her soft wrist and feeling her pulse, eyesight was getting blurry. He remembered the poem when she was reciting the poem before. She told the president that the poem is saying that no matter what happens in the surroundings, good thing or bad things will get past very quickly. At this moment, the president wishes time could pass by fast and everything returns to what it was before. Ashley is reverted back to a lovely and happen little girl as what she was before. After all, Ashley is the president's most loved child in the family.

Not sure if she got infected at school or by contact with Bryant, her body responded badly and still needs intensive care. First daughter, Irene, sitting next to her husband after greeted the President at his arrival, but did not say another words since. Apparently, even as powerful as being the president of the most dominant country in the world, he seemed powerless in front of this natural disaster. Although his daughter didn't express any unhappiness towards her father, the only person who may comfort her at this moment is Mr. K, the first son in law, not the powerful father on earth. Feeling powerless, a series of questions keep popping from president's mind - Did I do anything wrong? Was there anything I could have done differently so that Ashley does not suffer?.....