two

For the first few days, you returned to the border without fail. Waiting, but mostly hoping and praying that an entrance was made for you. It went without saying you navigated the edge of the forest, searching for the slightest break in the trees and thorns for you to slip inside. You were ready to endure any injury to be back where you belonged.

Of one thing you were certain - you hated Jaebeom. How he had taken everything from you. It was selfish and cruel, and you would never forgive him for it as long as you lived.

After weeks passed and the woods remained silent as the grave, wholly impenetrable, you finally surrendered. The last time you stood before the forest, you bid her a tender farewell.

You would give anything to know Jaebeom felt your pain, that he longed for you in his heart as much as you did for him. The woods must have been lonely.

Did you cross his mind at all? Even for just a moment?

A voice came from behind you, jeering, "And here she is again, staring at a wall of trees."

"Hello, Gale," you droned with disinterest.

A more arrogant and disdainful boy never existed than Gale. As a child, he often led the charge of children throwing rocks as you passed by. He always shouted the loudest when it came to how alone and pitiful you were.

But in more recent years, as you developed into a young woman, his gaze became less scornful and more filled with something worse.

He came to stand beside you, though his presence was unwanted, and spoke mischievously, "I can think of much better ways to occupy your time."

"I'm sure you could," you spoke, monotonous and uninterested.

Neither your body language or tone could dissuade him. "Everyone has advised me against my attraction to you," he continued, moving even closer to your side.

You avoided his eyes and retorted, "For that I am eternally grateful."

Gale ignored your response altogether and said, "They say you're wild, untamed, and that you would not be a good, dutiful wife."

Music to my ears, you mused, fighting back a grin. "They are absolutely right."

Gale crept closer, until you could smell him, until you could feel his hot breath on the top of your shoulder. Your entire body bristled, wary.

"I spent a lot of time with horses, the kind we use for war, and I can assure you," he whispered coldly. "Even the wildest of them can be broken into submission."

You rounded on him, refusing to show him even the slightest of fear, and countered, "I'm not a horse. I'm a woman. And I would defy you with every breath in my body until the day I died."

Gale's lips broke into a broad smile and he cooed, "And that is what I desire about you."

You rolled your eyes, parting from the border with a rush to your step. Gale was unnerving. There was malice in his eyes. He didn't see you as a human, he made that abundantly clear. To him you were an animal, a trophy; something to own and mount on the wall.

He followed you closely, losing what little patience he had. "I would rather you accept my proposal willingly."

You snorted and kept walking, exclaiming, "That was a proposal?"

"Yes," he replied, puffing out his chest. "I want you for my wife."

The mere thought set a bad taste on your tongue. You frowned, wrinkling your nose, and said, "I have no interest in having you as my husband."