Awareness on the edge of fear

"Dr. Rhodes, there's a call for you" nurse said anxiously, not intending to distract Connor from an important VIP client operation, but because of the caller's insistence, she had to do it.

"What happened?" Connor paused for a moment from the patient and arched an eyebrow.

"Says it's urgent" the woman handed over the phone as Connor hurriedly removed his gloves, not even imagining hearing the next one.

"If you want to see your girlfriend alive and unharmed, I expect five hundred thousand dollars in an hour at the address in a text message" an unfamiliar rough voice said. For a second, Connor thought he was having a bad dream that would soon be dispelled. A second later, the thought occurred to him that Robin was in trouble.

"Wait, I'll do it" Connor panicked, hearing the intermittent beeps. Repeated dialing failed — the kidnapper did not answer, only leaving a message with the place of the upcoming meeting and a threat: do not call the police.

"Beth, call Dr. Latham right away, I need to leave" Connor said quickly as he stormed out of the operating room, trying to reach Robyn just in case. The stranger's unpleasant words rattled in his head, and the minutes passed before eyes. He had only an hour to withdraw a huge amount and deliver it to the right address. It was impossible. As if someone was mocking, initially setting unrealistic conditions for the abduction.

Connor had never been in a situation like this, despite his status as a rich man. All his relationships were short, and no one could figure out his sore spot.

"Connor, is something wrong?" Connor was so lost in himself that it took him a moment to hear Robin's familiar voice.

"Robin, are you all right?! Where are you?" Rhodes shouted as he got into the car, still not believing that the woman had answered him that she was definitely not in trouble and that the kidnapper was a fraud.

"In my office, in the hospital" she said, laughing awkwardly. "And I'm fine, Connor".

"Good, damn, that's very good" Connor repeated, running a nervous hand through his hair, relieved that he was definitely turning gray. How could he fall for such a nasty prank?

Dropping the call, Connor felt suddenly tired from the stress. He glanced at the unread message from Beth and was about to leave it for later, but automatically clicked "read": "Dr. Lathom wants to see you and Dr. Bekker immediately. Dr. Bekker doesn't answer". 

The last thing Connor wanted to do was cross paths with Ava. And it was because, subconsciously, he felt guilty, as if he had unfairly thrown all possible sins on her. Even though it had been a couple of months since they'd broken up, Connor missed her without showing it, only finding fault with her decisions, her work, and hurting her even more. He was sick of himself, but something didn't let him stop, continuing to hurt Bekker, and behind his back, worrying about her condition after the cut that could have been fatal, after the Commission where she defended him, and he didn't even thank her, condemning her. It was terrible.

"...doesn't answer"  Beth's text flashed through Connor's mind again, knocking the air out of his lungs.

"...doesn't answer" Connor's mind flashed to Ava, who was smiling at him. He remembered how they walked arm in arm through the main square of the city, with her he was selected for special events at which they were seen together.

"Avey" Connor whispered as he stepped on the gas, ignoring the red light as he sped toward to the bank. With a trembling hand, he dialed Halstead and prayed that he wasn't in surgery, that he would answer. How scared he was. He had no idea how much Ava was dearer than Robin, how much he couldn't imagine that She would be in danger because of him.