Part Seven [Giving In]

For the first time ever, I felt small. I was scared. I cowered in the locker room before practice, hiding myself from the rest of the boys. By now they must have heard everything, because secrets are not a thing at this school.

But no one said anything. When I ducked down behind my locker door that I was expecting to have "Fag" spray-painted on it, but was surprisingly untouched, one guy looked at me like I was out of my mind and said, "Newman, what the hell are you doing?"

This caused me to look over at Finn. Has he not said anything? Why wouldn't he? He hates me! This was the perfect opportunity to get his position back but he was playing nice? If I were him I'd be jumping at the chance at revenge. If the guys on the team found out about the events of yesterday, they'd bully me even more than they already do, but I couldn't fight back, because they'd be right. And if Coach found out, I'd be kicked off the team before I could say "Fuck you." Not only because I was gay, but because his star player, his quarterback, was on the holy god forbid Glee Club.

But I'm not gay. I'm bisexual. At least, I must be. Straight guys don't get crushes on pretty boys who are nice to them and dance and sing really well. Damnit. And I'm also not in the Glee Club- but would they listen to me? No, they wouldn't. They wouldn't care.

Oh, you're not the typical straight douchebag football player? Fuck you then. Football team? Can't be on it. Boys won't feel comfortable. (Not that I'd ever consider giving any of those boys a second glance; I'm definitely not attracted to homophobic, misogynistic biggots.) Respect? Can't have it. You're gay, and that's not normal so we're going to make fun of you for it.

But no one said anything. It was almost just like any other day. I don't get it.

"What's your deal?" I went up to Finn after practice, not being able to take it anymore.

"What... deal?"

I raised my eyebrow. "You know."

"Seriously, I don't."

What is his game? I lowered my voice and looked around to check no one was too close for comfort. "You saw what... happended, yesterday. Why is no one talking about it?"

He shrugged. "Because they don't know."

I narrowed my eyes. "No way."

He lowered his voice too. "What? Did you think I was going to go ruin the chance of getting a talent like yours in the Glee Club? I'm co-captain, I can't do that."

I paused. "Glee means more to you than your old position on the team?"

He seemed to consider this. "They're... of equal importance. I should be glad I can even still play, quarterback or otherwise. And being quarterback takes up too much rehearsal time anyway..."

"Why me, though? You hate me. You can't want me in Glee, too."

"It's not about who loves and hates each other, Cole, it's about winning. We need to get past Sectionals, and to do that, we need people. People like you." I noted how he used my first name. Besides Kurt, no one did that at this school. It held a weird warming, welcoming feeling. When you left out the fact this was Finn Hudson, King of Glee Club and Prince of Homophobia.

"Well I'm not joining, so you can let that idea die in a hole."

He sighed. "Come on, man. What will it take to get you to change your mind?"

"I don't know. Talent?" I shot.

He seemed genuinely surprised that I'd said that. "You... you have that already, man! Have you not heard yourself?"

"I'm nothing special, Hudson. It doesn't make sense."

"I thought that too. I really don't want to give some cheesy cringey speech about how the Glee Club helped me open up and love myself, but... it did. It really did."

I closed my eyes. "That's lovely and all, but, listen. I can't. I just can't."

"I get it... I guess. How about you just come to rehearsal? Just to watch? You don't have to sing anything."

For some reason I hesitated to say no.

Whatever they're doing to me, it's working, isn't it? Fuck.

-