Funerals

Katie sat in the church pew holding back tears with a tissue. She dreaded facing friends and family offering their condolences and sympathies. In good faith of course yet she only wanted to be alone.

The church was filled with the noises of people shuffling to the casket and back to their pews. The organ playing in the distance. Gazing around the church she noticed an oddly familiar face.

His name was John. Or atleast she tried to think it was. She had never seen him until last month when he showed up to her father's funeral and sat in the same spot keeping an eye on her. Probably a distant relative in too much grief to talk right? He was clean cut and wearing an obviously expensive suit.

Katie rose up and walked up to the casket. Cold and without life her little sister laid. Katie noticed on her neck that the funeral director had made mistakes with her makeup. The bruises on Catherine's face were still slightly visible as well as the marks on her neck. Perhaps it was just a simple mistake right? Though, her father's corpse had the same issues as well as the same cause of death.

Suddenly, Katie heard footsteps approach her right side causing her to glimpse over. Standing right beside her was John who gave Catherine's corpse a great look of remorse.

"I am so sorry for your loss." He told Katie with a sigh. But Katie noticed some form of shallowness in his tone.

"Thank you." Katie said to him. Curiosity got the better of her as she gazed at John. His shoes were recently shined, his pants recently pressed, and his jacket recently ironed. Yet, upon seeing his hands she stood frozen. On John's knuckles were covered in bruises.

She carried her eyes up to his face where they met his. With a crooked grin he looked at her.

"I just had to think of a reason to see you again." He told her.