1

Jamie falls back into her routine of drowning in readings, schoolwork, and student council projects while chugging down as much iced coffee as she needs to stay awake. It's worse now because college applications were closing, meaning entrance exams were next.

In the small free time Jamie has, she thinks about a particular star rookie and how that particular star rookie smiled at her while paying for her meal, and how she wants to see that particular star rookie smile at her like that again.

She overhears Yzabel and Amy talk about how they're going to study at the gazebos near the gym so they can wait for their girlfriends, and sees this as an opportunity.

"Sama ako," Jamie announces.

"Kailan ka pa nag aral kasama ibang tao..." Amy stares at her weirdly.

"Kailangan ko na rin ng change of environment," Jamie lies. "Nagsasawa na ko sa library, eh."

"In our six years of friendship, never kang pumayag mag aral kasama kami." Klaire points out.

"Ayaw niyo ba kong kasama?" Jamie fake pouts.

"Sure ka bang walang permanent brain damange yung bola sa ulo mo?" Yzabel laughs. "Pero sige, tayong apat, study group after class sa gazebo malapit sa volleyball court."

*

Jamie realizes that studying for a Calculus test that she can't afford to fail at a location that puts her in close proximity with the volleyball players probably isn't the best decision.

She can't help that she's only taken notice of the sport (the person who plays it, mostly) now.

The practice ends with Jamie finding out more about court positions and approach styles than functions and the derivative of an indefinite integral or whatever she was supposed to study.

Oh well, she can just study more at home.

She stretches and sees Yssa walking towards their table, the  star rookie trailing closely behind her.

Jamie, like the normal person she is, buries her nose back into the book and pretends like she's studying very hard for Calculus.

"Baby love!" Amy greets Yssa with a hug.

"Sana all!" Klaire shouts.

"Hi," Jamie feels the plastic bench sink beside her. She looks up from her book and sees Cole flashing the smile Jamie's been imagining for the past few days at her. "BCal? Sino prof niyo?"

"Si Ms. Gabie," Jamie shuts her book. "May quiz kami bukas."

"Uy, kami rin! Tara, review tayo?" Cole asks her.

Jamie blinks twice before the athlete's words sink in. She wants to study with her. Jamie who can't understand the first thing about Calculus. Cole didn't need to know that, though.

"Okay, sure." Jamie packs away her things while Cole waits for her.

"Permanent brain damage," Yzabel fake coughs. She, Amy, and Klaire laugh while Jamie gives them the death glare.

*

Jamie finds out that Cole lives in the same building as her.

They agree to study at Cole's unit because the athlete has a freezer and an ice mold, a novelty that Jamie doesn't have, which means free flowing iced coffee for the two of them. Jamie heads to her room first to change into more comfortable clothes and get her packets of instant coffee.

She goes down and tries to mentally prepare herself. Not only was she in even closer proximity with Cole, but she's actually going into the star rookie's room.

She says a little prayer for her Calculus grades and knocks on Cole's door.

She situates herself in Cole's dorm room that looked significantly more organized than hers. They spend hours upon hours studying and taking snack breaks in between. She finds out that Cole is actually a genius in Calculus and can discuss the whole topic better than the teacher herself, and that Cole can pass as a 5 star Michelin chef with her twist on instant ramen.

When they're done, Jamie leaves Cole's dorm room with enough information to get her through her Calculus quiz, and an even bigger crush on the athlete.