Chapter Five

Taking a step back from Silver, Scarlet's arms fell to her sides. She looked around the room, careful not to meet his gaze. Those voices had to be real. They were her parents after all. How could he tell her they weren't? It made no sense. "Um," she answered, taking a moment to collect herself, "how do you know they're not real? I heard them. I know what my parents sound like, Silver. Don't you trust me?"

He sighed. "Of course I trust you. It's them I don't trust–"

"My parents? How dare you? You've come over to my house many times now and we're best friends and, all of a sudden, now you decide to tell me you don't trust them? I–" The flames rose throughout her veins, crimson color appearing slightly on her arms. With her hands balled into fists, it took all of her strength to keep the fire from popping out of her palms. She had to calm herself down. But learning that Silver didn't trust her parents made it too difficult. Sighing, she said, "I just don't understand you. Why don't you trust them?"

Silver walked forward, grabbing her arm before she had a chance to turn away. "Would you stop and just let me finish? Thanks for interrupting me, by the way."

"Sorry," she answered while trying to pull away from him. He was too strong.

"No. There's no sorry this time. You've interrupted me so many times. How do you think that makes me feel?"

Scarlet yanked her arm forward, trying to break free once again, but it only pushed her closer to him. She sighed. "Do we really have to do this right now?" Pointing around the room with her other hand, she asked, "Out of all places, you choose here to start this?"

"Me? Have you lost your mind? Just five seconds ago you decided to start this by interrupting me. We are going to talk about this."

She rolled her eyes at him. "Come on, seriously? I already apologized." By now, they were staring deep into each other's eyes. His turned a darker shade of the famous bright blue she always knew. There was no escaping the argument now. Not until they made up, which hopefully would be sooner rather than later. The color of his eyes made it easy for her to see when he was upset, just like it did the same for him with her. It took all she could handle to hope that she wouldn't lose sight of that when she actually couldn't see different shades anymore.

The intense look that kept her eyes locked on to his made a shiver roll down her spine. Just a few feet from each other, she finally realized exactly how close they both were. His mouth was moving, more than likely explaining all the reasons as to why she was wrong and he was right. But she couldn't hear a thing. It took almost all of her strength to nod in his direction, hoping that he would never notice that she fell off the tracks. The grip he held on her wrist slowly loosened. She tried to smile, but failed easily, when keeping track of every move he made.

Reaching up to her shoulder with his other hand, Silver shook her. "Scarlet, are you listening?"

Of course she got caught. It was always hard to fake anything with him. Sure enough, the one time she wanted it to work, it didn't. She should've known better. A smile spread across her lips, almost too quickly. "You know it."

"Really? Are you absolutely sure?"

She laughed, shrugging her shoulders. "Why wouldn't I be?"

"Alright then." He let go of her wrist, smiling. "What'd I say?"

The heat from the flames in her body took over. "You were talking about how awesome you are, that no one can replace you as my best friend. You know, the usual." Scarlet grinned, hoping he wouldn't step away. "Oh, and you mentioned how I shouldn't interrupt you anymore."

"Well, you got the second part right," he answered, chuckling. "I have no idea where you got the first part. You know that's not true at all." He shoved her playfully, walking back toward the kitchen.