The vines that bind us - chapter 2

Big thanks to my beta: @Liza

-----------

Until a trip to Gotham came knocking on the front doors

"I can't believe Lie-la of all people managed to somehow get us the trip to Gotham!" Mari moaned with a mixed expression on her face.

Adrien, who was walking next to them, showed absolute disgust. "Technically, It was my father and I that did the heavy lifting. She really wanted to go to the Wayne Gala and..."

"What Lie-la wants, Lie-la gets." The three finished in unison before laughing a bit.

"Don't worry Mari-bear. I can promise you that this no good liar won't get to ruin your return home." Chloe pulled her best friend closer. Best friend. Much better than a servant. Who would've thought? "And we can even try to find your mom on free Saturday."

"Yeah..." The girl with black-blue hair didn't seem particularly cheerful at that.

"Now I refuse to have you making sad faces throughout the whole flight. You cheer up right this moment and that's an order!" The blonde commanded.

"Yes, Maman-bear." Mari giggled.

The three of them finally arrived at the rest of the class, who were already gathered around madame Bustier. Of course, Lila was bragging about a million different things, but the three paid her no mind. Adrien did his best to hide behind the girls, cherishing the last moments of freedom. Finally, Mari and Chloe had to step forward for their tickets. The blonde got hers without any problem, but for Mari there turned out to be none.

"I'm so so sorry Marinette!" Lila said with fake regret. "I must have accidentally miscounted the number of students... It must've been when I was helping those poor orphans. You know, at..."

"Sure..." Mari didn't even try to act as if she believed her for a moment. When Lila scowled, realizing that it didn't affect the girl, she smiled. "I guess Chlo, Adrien and I will have to go with the contingency plan number 1."

"What?!" The sausage-hair shouted.

"Of course my Daddy would not send us to travel like peasants. We have tickets for the first class." Chloe supplied, looking smugly. "We did plan to maybe sit with the rest of the class. What a shame..."

"Yeah, My dad also didn't want me to travel anything less, but I convinced him to let me stay with my friends. Guess he will get what he wanted in the end." For his part, Adrien at least tried to look apologetic. He didn't try hard at all, but it's the thought that counts, right?

"But... But..." Lila tried to come up with something, likely a lie, to counter it. She didn't have time as the trio handed their teacher the filled forms from their parents/guardians/Nathalie and proceeded to the plane. The tickets were personal, so she couldn't do anything. The Italian girl came up with a lie to tell to the class, but it would do no good until they landed.

--------

"Did you see her face?" Plagg was rolling in the air while holding a giant roll of camembert.

"You were amazing my queen." Pollen complimented.

"I still can't believe your dad just... bought out the whole first class!" Marinette sighed.

"Phi! Daddy always gives me only the best. You should know it by now, Mari-bear."

"Okay. Mari. You are the Gotham expert here. Any advice?" Adrien asked a bit more seriously.

"Gotham survival guide is probably unlike any other city." She started. "The first rule is, believe it or not, run away if a person laughs too much or smiles too widely. The downside of living in the same city as the Joker is that most people don't laugh in public. Secondly, never show that you are lost. Wherever you are, it's exactly where you wanted to be. Finally, the third is to never flaunt your wealth." She looked critically at Chloe before taking away her purse and lipstick in a golden case. "This," She then pulled a mobile phone in a ridiculously sparkly case and popped it out of the cover, "this," finally, she detached the golden chain on which the purse was supposed to be suspended and replaced it with a pre-prepared white one with copper clips, "and this must all go away."