Chapter 15: The Lore Keepers

The five adventurers of the Guild and the cleric of the Morninglord were welcomed by the Throret brothers into their tower, followed by Hunthor. The Sun Elven Lore Keepers led them higher in the building, where a dining hall awaited them.

The six couldn't help but notice the sumptuousness of the tower, from the elegant stairs, to the walls decorated with stained glass windows and tapestries that seemed to be woven from threads of pure gold.

The dining hall that the adventurers would have reached was drenched in that very same sumptuousness. The walls bore a bright contrast of the colors of emerald and topaz, despite being crafted from common stone and embellished via magic, and were further decorated from gold. In one of the larger walls was embedded a gorgeous window of stained glass, and the table was crafted from wood, bearing an elegant design, and decorated with leaves of gold and silver. It was a feast for the eyes, that left the six utterly speechless.

The Sun Elven ranger smiled at the petty human adventurers' wonder.

"I sincerely hope such a sight may prove... Enlightening, for you." he commented, to which Alfred recollected enough of his wits to reply.

"Well..." he said, in a still dazed voice "Certainly, this is something a lot of our nobles would be seeing in their wildest dreams... At their absolute best." The archer let out a haughty chuckle.

"Ah, yes." he stated "Your paltry human nobles, always so vainglorious. What you see here is the manifestation of how much of a boundary there is between us and that pitiful lot. And of course, adventurers, you, along with your regrettably rare ilk, lay in the middle of such a large gap." Iliqen nodded in silent agreement at the statement, yet his expression showed regret, rather than pride.

"If my memory does not prove faulty..." the Lore Keeper's sibling then mused "There was a Crowley who punished those, among the nobles, who had been guilty of defiling the country they were supposed to serve, by taking advantage of their title and, oftentimes, turning to the devils themselves..." The red-haired mage showed a smile, in which lied a slight hint of pride.

"That would have been my grandfather, miss Throret." he clarified "Albert Crowley. He was not called "the Noble Hunter" for naught, after all."

"No one shall question that." Hunthor added, with a hint of annoyance at the excitement felt by the youth upon speaking of his family, which was perceived as hubris in the eyes of the Sun Elven ranger.

"Now, I believe that further discussion may await, for the time being." Iliqen then stated, with a clap of his hands, as he showed his guest a welcoming smile "I believe hunger is beckoning us all, at present."

"Indeed, dear brother!" Orixys added, growing excitement to be perceived in her voice, as she turned to the seven "Please, have a seat and wait as we prepare our food." The Lore Keepers then retreated in an adjacent room, as their guests took their places at the large dining table.

"It would seem that the accounts over the opulence of sun elves were not exaggerated in the slightest..." Aaron commented, still bewildered. Gracia found herself pleased from the spectacle, for it reminded her of the temple she served in.

"Such brilliance would befit a temple of Lathander..." she commented "To think that High Elves can contemplate such beauty daily..." Hunthor nodded in approval at the cleric's comment, before looking at the red-haired spellcaster sitting at the table with a gaze of annoyance and suspicion. The young Crowley found himself confused, wondering the reasons behind those hostile eyes.

"Did we say something inappropriate?" he asked, to which he shook his head.

"Manner-wise, you have been almost impeccable, especially in comparison to your friend, miss Darlington." the archer replied, eliciting anger and annoyance from the strawberry blonde mage, who glared at him with a pout "However, Mr. Crowley..." he continued, quite sourly "I feel compelled to remind you that here, you are but a raven flying among mighty eagles. Please, make sure to remember that. And to remind your companions, of course."