Chapter 1

He knew he should have attacked sooner. He had the element of surprise at his advantage, but where did he go wrong? Why was he not able to finish that dark fiend once and for all when he had the chance? The answer was simple: He allowed his emotions to control him. He fell in love…

~~~~~~~ 

For as long as Basil of Baker Street had been a private consulting detective, he knew hands down that his emotions could never control him, for it would be the death of not only him but others as well. However, once he met Paula, that sense of thought vanished completely. Yes, he was still able to solve cases with no effort needed, but that wall he built around his heart and those bottled up emotions were now and forever released and it was all thanks to her, he thought. For two and a half years, Basil had been courting Paula, and as much as he enjoyed those glorious moments, he wanted more.

It was still something he found strange, for he was always reminded of his old self. When he was nothing but a lone bachelor, all he wanted was that next challenging case to engage his superior intellect, if not then he’d fall deep into one of his dark depressing moods that would lead to him poisoning himself with a seven percent solution of cocaine. For twenty years, that was his life. That was all he knew. Sure, once his friend and official biographer, Dr. David Q. Dawson came to live at 221 ½, he was not as alone as he once was, but even that itself did not last long once he met his wife two years later. Unfortunately, for the good doctor, within a year’s time, he lost his beloved Mary from typhoid fever and it was then he returned to Baker Street where his room was still the same as it was when he left, with the exception of a little wear and tear because of his young friend.  

Though Basil did not agree with his friend marrying for at the time the detective considered marriage as the end, Armageddon if you will, he still felt condolence for Dawson. He knew he was selfish and this he would never deny. Time and time again, Basil told the doctor his unjustifiable thoughts about the whole ordeal, but Dawson at least had excusable reasons for why marriage was more than what his young friend assumed. He knew though, that the detective only came up with these excuses because deep down he did not want to lose his one and only friend. Dawson felt the very same, but at the same time; he did not wish to remain a bachelor for all his days.

Even after returning to that small flat, Dawson felt that though he was once more a bachelor, he did not want to go down the road of depression for that was something he knew his Mary would not want. She’d want him to be happy and move on. So, with that, Dawson decided to engage in his line of profession and begin his practice of medicine. This would be the time that the doctor would be acquainted with the young Spanish mouse and not soon after, as would his colleague. It would be this that would change his friend’s life forever.