Chapter Four: Teamwork

The woman snatched the file out of Alina's hand first, eyeing it first, then her. Without a word, she moved on to Percival.

"Interesting... Why would you want to look at your own file? I assure you, your test results aren't in there."

"Maybe not for SPAI, but it seems like every other damn result I've had in my entire life is! Is it like that for everyone or did my uncle just reveal a tad more information?", hissed Percy, crossing his arms.

"It's only natural for us to have done a thorough background check. We didn't want to risk an... Unsavoury candidates becoming one of the world's first superheroes," spoke the woman.

"Pretty rich coming from somebody who won't even bless us with her name!", ranted Percival.

"Faust. Mabel Faust. I never quite liked the name Mabel, but what can you do," said Mrs. Faust with a down hearted shrug, "Anyway, how did you get in here? Did you hack into your ID card?"

"Oh no, we are not changing the topic. These people deserve to know that you basically know their entire life story!", ranted Percy.

Mrs. Faust clicked a button. His eyes widened, he already knew where this was going. He ran, just ran. Alina watched, shocked and frightened.

"I suggest you go and prepare for the next round, Miss Yun. And maybe don't mention this to anyone," Mrs. Faust suggested with a concerned smile.

¤ ¤ ¤

"... and then he just ran," finished Alina, sat on the kitchen table. The only one that was actually eating, which was why they actually had a break, was Hunter. The others - namely Ethan, Kaze, Hunter, Asha, Harlow, Andre, Alec and Victor were eagerly listening. So, practically everyone.

"Woah...", said Andre, "Though hearing about you having just followed him has made me fear for my privacy..."

"I was in a bad mood, okay? Somebody cut up my leggings or did you forget that?", growled Alina.

"How could we forget you threatening to kill Victor and me?", said Alec jokingly.

"The weird thing is that he must have been looking for it in advanced... Why else would he have modified his ID card?", pondered Alina, screwing up her face slightly.

For once, Ethan spoke up, "Percy didn't have the technical equipment on him to do something like that. All he wanted was to explore. Chance has it, he was set up."

Hunter didn't even register that Ethan was looking at her, she stood up on her own accord. Trying to play off her anxiety, she said, "I need some time to prepare for the next task." Then she left.

As usual, Alanna was on her computer. Hunter had been planning on joking about it being attatched to her like an extra limb, but facing her in this context rendered that inappropriate. Instead, the tall woman said, "Did you sabotage them?"

"Who's them?"

"Alina, Percy, Kiara, Kaze, Koi and who knows who else," listed Hunter, not letting her eyes leave the scheming computer whiz for a second.

"No," responded Alanna.

"Did you at least mess with Percy's ID card?", asked Hunter, her eyes drilling into Alanna's.

"No. Well, yes, though it's not my fault he actually went out exploring. Well, I may have made a comment or two, but what do you care?", said Alanna.

"It wasn't fair," exclaimed Hunter, shaking her head profusely, "There's no point in messing with people just because you don't like them."

"SPAI can't be trusted, how else would all those wealthy snobs have made it this far? You should be grateful, anyway. I could have messed with you, you would've been easier than anyone and it isn't like you have an overly impressive background. But I left you in peace because there were enough unworthy candidates as it is and people like us should stick together."