Bette- September 20

*Bette's POV*

"Dear Diary, Since Jimmy has so graciously decided to join our act I've been busy making preparations- I've decided that we'll all wear baby blue. Bette and I will wear a beautiful, Cinderella-style A-line gown with sparkly tulle on the skirt. And Jimmy will wear a handsome tux of the same color with a white carnation on the lapel.
Dot's been as pessimistic as ever, telling me how 'tacky' we'll look, and how everyone will think we're fools for trying to look pretty in a freak show, but she just doesn't realize that my-" I wince a little as I scratch that last word out and replace it with "our". I look over at Dot to be sure she didn't see that before I continue writing.
"...star power can outshine all of the impediments we've been dealt. I thought we'd sing something by the lovely Jo Stafford... Maybe "You Belong to Me".
Whatever the case may be, our first act as a genuine trio is next Saturday, a week from today. We'd best start rehearsals soon.
Fondest wishes,
Bette Tattler."
I place my diary down gently on the bed as we stand up to get ready for bed. Dot's face is duller than normal, as we look into the mirror. "What's wrong, sis?" I ask as I turn to look at her. "You haven't said a word all evening."
"I'm fine." She says in a dead, toneless voice without looking at me.
I'm silent as well, trying to decode her expression.
Just about then we hear feminine giggling, followed by Jimmy's laugh. "Jimmy, stop!" The unfamiliar voice shouts playfully. We both know he didn't.
Dot's bottom lip quivers as she looks us up and down in the mirror. "I heard him bring that skank on the grounds a couple of hours ago." She says angrily under her breath.
I hold my tongue and stroke her hair. "Hey now, it'll be just fine. Just wait till he sees us in our costum-"
All of a sudden she hurls a tube of lipstick at the mirror, cracking it a little. "I'm tired of hearing about your god blessed costumes and your choreography and your song arrangements. I'm plum sick." She practically growls at me.
I hang my head submissively and don't say another word until we go to bed. I wait for her to doze off before opening my diary again. I find the page with my notes, and look under the costume section. I've allotted each of us a space to list costume pieces and accessories, and I have it listed that both Dot and I have tiaras. I scratch the tiara off of her list angrily, then smile. "Only stars get tiaras." I say quietly as I set the book on the nightstand and fall asleep.