one-shot

If it was a full moon like any other, Ricky would know exactly what to expect. It's been three years, now, that he would go to the same place at every full moon to undergo the same 'procedure'. Every month, he knows better than to be late or to disrespect this ritual. Every month, he's willing to walk through the woods alone at night, only the lunar light illuminating his path, silence all around but for some nocturnal bird hooting. In summer or in winter, windy or rainy, the procedure must be the same every single time. It's a good thing Ricky's never had troubles following the rules. 

If it was a full moon like any other, Ricky would know he'd have to be at the gate of the castle on the other side of the woods at exactly twelve a.m. He would know not to bring anything with him, not even his phone, he would know he should wear black and look his best. 

These are the instructions he'd been given when the conditions were discussed, three years ago. 

Tonight, though, it just isn't a full moon like any other. It's a Saturday. And it's Halloween. 

He didn't communicate anything about tonight, so Ricky just went and followed the procedure as always. He feels like today's going to be different, though, and he knows better than to ignore his gut feeling when it comes to this. 

It's not a matter of rationality. Not a matter of logic, or science, or psychology. No, it's a matter of magic. Spirituality, if you may. A dark kind. 

He's at the gate at twelve o'clock. It opens automatically like it always does. Ricky steps into the garden surrounding the castle: he can't see much because it's dark. In three years he never got to see it in daylight, so much that he wonders if the castle as well as its garden exists in daytime. So he doesn't really know what this place looks like, but he knows how to find the entrance to the castle. He can feel he's waiting for him, and it's like the wait draws him closer and closer to him as an external force. Ricky just follows it, as usual. When he gets to the front door, it opens automatically as well, and inside the castle is illuminated by candles and torches. He's waiting for him upstairs. Ricky can see him leaning with his elbows on the railing to the hall where Ricky's currently standing. 

“I love how you're always on time, sweetheart,” he says, as he starts his slow descent downstairs. Ricky doesn't move, the deep sound of his voice making him shiver. 

“Ville,” Ricky says. “You know I'm not the type to make you wait.” 

Ville smirks. 

“That's why you're my favorite,” Ville says. “Because of that, and because of how sweet you taste.” 

Ricky almost smiles, but he can't help that even after all these years, he still needs some time before he calms his nerves. 

Three years ago, Ville saved Ricky's life. In exchange, he's been drinking the blood out of his jugular on every full moon. 

And Ricky's always thought this pact was fair. He owes him so much, he feels like he can never fully repay him. Not to mention, the adrenaline rush this game gives him is always worth the weakness that follows. 

So, Ricky's always been utterly consensual to all of this. Though even if he wasn't, he'd still be forced to comply with Ville's rules; who knows what a vampire is capable of… 

Ville walks over to him. When he stops in front of him, Ricky's heart's beating fast and he can't bring himself to look in his eyes. Ville brings the back of his hand to Ricky's face and caresses his cheek with a knuckle, a gesture that's both sweet and patronizing; Ricky's breath catches and then Ville walks away wordlessly. Leading the way. 

“Today things are gonna take… a different route,” Ville says, walking down a hallway Ricky's never seen before. This isn't where they usually go.