Chapter 1: Not Meant to Be (Lucas)

The sun shone into his red eyes upon his awakening. He sat upright and pushed back his black hair. 
He angrily punched the wall and gritted his teeth.
This was the 50th time. The 50th time he went back to the time before he met...her. He recalled the time he first met her. 
Her beautiful golden hair which reached her waist fluttered with her movements. Her jeweled blue eyes, which looked at him was mezmerizing. 
H

er movements were graceful like a swan. In the moment their eyes met, time seemed to stop. 
Call it magic, call it anything stronger but in that moment, it seemed like he saw the future of both of them. 
His name is Lucas. He did not have a last name, neither did he care to know what it was. 
He was a magic prodigy. The youngest wizard in Obelia. 
When he was nine, he was brought from an orphanage into the magic tower, since magical talent was detected on him. 
He had a black heart. Why? He didn't know. Before coming to the magic tower, he killed whatever made him angry. 
Slaughtered anything that seemed annoying. 
His sins were numerous. He continued his ways, until he was fourteen years old. When he met, the princess. When first coming to the magic tower, the Princess was all that was heard from everyone. "The Princess is sooo cute!"
"She's so kind, she gifted me a ribbon" 
"No wonder the cold emperor adores her. When it was her tenth birthday, she wanted to wear his majesties crown so she wore it throughout the whole banquet." 
"His love for her is also due to his love for the empress. The Princess looks exactly like her majesty Diana"
The talk of the Princess, never left his ears. It was annoying. 
But he finally understood all what they said in their first meeting. 
"Hello" Anthanasia said pulling back a strand of her hair. 
Her voice was enchanting, his lips were sealed shut. And he stood there in a daze. "Your highness." A voice behind the bushes called. 
For no reason, Lucas hid behind a tree. "Yes Lily" Anthanasia said. 
"The empress is looking for you" A female voice said. 
Badum. Badum
What was that pounding noise from his chest. A week passed and he quickly waved away that feeling. But that was when, he was appointed the magic tutor for the Princess. 
First they started out as teacher and student, being only one year apart. 
Later conversation partners. 
Then friends. And eventually, something …closer. 
"I love you" 
Three years after knowing each other, Lucas finally became clear with his feelings. 
But, before receiving a reply he was in his room in the magic tower looking younger. So it was all just a dream? All the complicated feelings he felt was all just a dream! 
He continued his usual schedule which originally didn't have anything to do with the princess. But, once again, like in the dream, he was appointed as the Princess' magic tutor. 
This time, after four years. He became clear with himself because the same complicated feelings arose. 
"I love you" 
It followed the same way confession and no reply. Instead of a reply its a reincarnation. 
Again he was appointed as Anthanasia's magic tutor. This time he caged in his feelings. 
And she was poisoned and died after their two years of knowing each other. And again he was reborn. Was he dreaming or being reborn? It seemed more likely the latter. 
Six years passed and he protected her from harms way without confessing his feelings. But the day he decides to confess, is the day he learns of her wedding. 
"You are now husband and wife" 
He stood and watched as the man he hated the most was officially made the husband of the one he loved. 
Ijekiel Alpheus. The successful duke Alpheus. 
After leaving the wedding hall, he was once again reborn. This time he decided to stop  Anthanasia from marrying the Duke by convincing her about the Duke's evil ways, but Lucas was arrested and executed for the crime of using black magic and associating the princess with it. Again he was reborn. This time he didn't try to stop Anthanasia's marriage. He even stayed throughout the wedding reception, wishing her a happy life. But after a month of her being married to the Duke, both her and the duke died for an unknown reason. Again he was reborn. Again and again. And once they met each other someone had to suffer. 
Anthanasia didn't seem to reincarnate, but every single time their paths always crossed. 
Each time he failed to clear to his feelings and protect the princess. 
For 49 times he tried to give Anthanasia a happy life which involved him somehow. He thought that was why he was being reborn, but if that was really the reason he shouldn't have failed like this. 
Maybe, just maybe. He was being reborn each time to live a happy life with Anthanasia. 
But when he had failed for the 49th time, he was told that wasn't the real reason. The Princess had commited suicide because of the emperor and empress' early death and was in his arms. 
Suddenly his surroundings changed. He was greeted with a blank empty void. The Princess was no more in his arms, she was standing right infront of him wearing a white gown and a sad expression on her face.
"Lucas" As she said his name he could feel chills at his back. Somehow she felt different. "This is your last chance to do what is right" 
"How can I make you happy?" Lucas said standing up from his knees. 
"That is not what you should concern yourself with" She said taking a step back with a disgusted expression. 
As she did this, Lucas felt his heart ache. "You have to listen to what I have to say. What I'm about to tell you is the summary of all the lives you've gone through and what is to come" 
Anthanasia said before she held Lucas' hands. Her eyes lit up and she started to talk. 
"And it came to past during the days of a reader. Enter into the book and changeth your fate. Hated by many. Loved by one. Your wizard wilth save you . For thy light has come and black heart shall leave thee. The 50th time is thy last and you will faileth if searching for happiness. New characters wilth  come to the challenge. 49 times were the probable reality. But now thee shall have their last try. Now it is time to bid goodbye."
And with that, he was once again reborn. He didn't understand what had happened but picked up some things. 
'The 50th time is thy last and you will faileth if searching for happiness.'
I am not going to be reborn and it isn't my destiny to be with Anthanasia. For her to be happy, I have to leave her alone. 
A month passed and this time he wasn't appointed as Anthanasia's magic tutor. Now he had finally realized the reality, they were just not meant to be.