Mistletoe

"I saw Mommy"

DING! DONG! DING! DONG!

Can you hear it? the bells are ringing! It's the time of the year. Christmas lanterns are all over our place. The Christmas tree is beautifully standing in the center of our living room, I put my presents under the tree. I roamed my eyes to check if all the decorations are rightfully placed in our house. "Hmmm. Looks go to me" I said with a nod of satisfaction and quietly walk to our kitchen to get the cookies and milk I've prepared for Santa Claus.

Today is Christmas Eve! Santa Claus is coming! He will give me presents, well I'm confident that I do not belong to his naughty list, I've been a good girl this year. I placed the plate of cookies and milk on our mini desk beside the Christmas tree.

"I'm going to wait for Santa Claus" I determinedly said.

But I fell asleep and when I woke up. I'm in my room, laying on my soft red bed. I was already in the verge of giving up until I saw the hands of my mini clock. "It's still midnight! Maybe Santa Claus is still down there." I assumed and hurriedly pickup my slippers and run to our staircase, just when I was about to step on the last stair, I saw a man...

I saw a big man strangling my mother.

I covered my mouth as tears falls through my eyes. I keep my sound of sob to myself. I looked at the clock beside me, It was still midnight and I can't see the face of my mother's murderer because of the darkness enveloping our living room. I saw how my mother fall to ground still grasping for air but then the man took up a knife and stabbed into her weak body. There's nothing I can do, I'm thinking if I should stop him, maybe I can still save my mother. I was about to go to my mommy but she looked at me and move her head right to left. It's like she's saying to me that I should go back to my room and leave her dying.

No. I will go to her, I will save her. I fisted my hand, encouraging myself that I could save my own mother from that man. But my Mom look at my way again, I saw a crystal thing rolling through her face, it was tears.

"No, go back." My mom mumbled but I can see clearly the move of her mouth, she doesn't want me to harmed like her. She also wanted to save me, so I nodded and I saw her smile like she's not going to die later. I gather myself and wipe the tears in y face with my palm. I stand up and tiptoe walk up to the stairs. I counted the step so that I can brush off this unfamiliar feeling within me, I'm scared.

One....

Two....

Three......
Two more steps.... Two more steps and I can finally go back to my room.

Four.....
Just one more step.

DING! DONG!

I startled when the bell rang, I looked at the clock showing that it's short leg is pinpointing at the middle of 12 and 1 while the long leg is pinpointing the 6.

It's 12:30am

The Christmas Lanterns has come to life. The Christmas tree is glowing, giving me a clearer view of our living room. I wandered my eyes and it landed to the man that is casually sitting on the chair while eating the cookies and drinking the milk I made. He is looking at my mother's body on the floor showering with her own red blood under our mistletoe.

The man stared me, I saw his lips forming into an ear-to-ear smile that sent shiver down to my spine. I embraced myself, afraid of the man downstairs my mind is still blank. What is he doing right there? I asked myself. But then, a flash of realization hit me up. I peered at the big man, unlike before I can see him now clearly , he's wearing a red suit and boots, his face is covered with white beard.

I close my eyes tightly as I hear his iconic laugh.

The unique laugh that made me love him.

DING! DONG! DING! DONG!

" I saw Mommy kissing the floor, lifeless under the mistletoe, she was killed by Santa Claus on the 25th day of December."