Too Tired to Fall Asleep

At the end of a really rough day, have you ever sat down and realized just how tired you are? You feel like as soon as your head touches your pillow, you'll be completely passed out. But you lay down, and all you get is this dull ache in the back of your mind telling you that you're supposed to be sleeping. It's telling you that you're exhausted and need to rest, but you just can't. You can't find it in you to actually fall asleep, and it's slowly killing you. So you just lay there in bed, staring at the ceiling, reading a book, watching a few videos. You'll do anything in the hopes of somehow falling asleep in the midsts of your activity. But all you get is a ton of tossing and turning. Your eyes may as well be glued open, because you sure as hell aren't gonna be closing them for more than a second at a time, and again, it's slowly killing you inside. But this isn't only a one time thing though, it happens almost every single night. You refuse to go to the doctor and get some prescribed sleeping pill, because you've seen plenty of people get addicted to that shit, and you don't want to turn out like them. So you're left to painfully lay there, alone, in the dark, and that scares you. Not because it's dark, but because you're left to nothing but your own thoughts, and sometimes, your thoughts can be the most terrifying thing in the world. In a dark universe where it's only you and yourself, your thoughts will agonizingly chew away at any shreds of sanity you have left. You get lost in the depths of your mind and you can't find your way out. The batteries in your flashlight ran out of energy and now you're screwed. Thoughts take a dark turn and now you're terrified. Your mind is a scary place and the only escape is sleep. But no matter how hard you try, there's no way you'll be falling asleep anytime soon.  And now, you've come to the conclusion that you're simply too tired to fall asleep.