act nineteen { the doom of the white moon }

Rain had weighed Usagi down in the dark of night. The hour didn't matter and she didn't care if the front door opening bothered her parents. Puddles and streams of water followed her patters of feet across the floor of her home and up the stairs. Her clothes were stuck to her, her once golden hair stuck to her skin, and her bangs covering her eyes. Her shoes were kicked off at the door and jacket loosely hanging to dry. In the dim light and memories of lightening in her mind, the girl shivered her way to her room. 

No sight could warm her heart or reward her from battle like that of Miyako in bed. 

Usagi's once downcast eyes wavered at the low glow of light. From the bedside was the lamp lighting Miyako reading a book. With how late it was, Usagi expected her to be asleep. The blonde stood barely through the doorway and in her silence, watched her older sister flip through the pages, scrunch her brows at whatever passage she read, and mumble to herself a line she surely memorized. She looks cute. Huddled under the blankets with her reading glasses on. Peaceful, without worry. 

The creak of the door pulled Miyako from her book. A smile crept on her face when she saw her sister .

"Hey, you're back. Hope you don't mind, but we have some guests sleeping with us." When Miyako motioned beside her, Usagi finally noticed additions to their bed as she walked in the room. Chibiusa and Miya slept on her side. "I made some tea earlier--Usagi, you're drenched. Is something wrong?"

At her sister's side, Usagi let Miyako look her over, moving her arms, hair, and clothes around. Likely when she saw Usagi's red eyes, in a flash the girl was up from the bed and in-and-out of the bathroom with a towel and new clothes. No words passed Miyako's lips when she forced the clothes into Usagi's arms and when she sat her sister on the floor to dry her hair. The room was dead quiet except for the Chibiusa and Miya's light breaths. Usagi turned to her sister's waist while her hair was dried by towel; the embrace was warm and relaxing.   

"I'm scared." The muffled words cut through the quiet air when the towel was lifted. 

"What are you scared of?" Miyako asked as she hoped back into the bed and pulled her sister next to her. The bedside lamp was the only source of light for them to speak. Their words were even more hushed.

"Everything. It feels like the whole world is coming to get me. I can't seem to do anything right, but when I do, it's too late."

One of Miyako's slender fingers tucked hair behind her sister's ear. "Oh, don't say that, Usagi. What thing in the world could make you so scared? What has you bumming yourself down."

The support of her sister could only reach her heart so far. Usagi couldn't lie and hide the swelling of tears in her eyes, but if only....if only she knew the truth. All Usagi could do was shake her head and hold her sister's hands.  

"No, I don't," Usagi heaved a long sigh. "I can't seem to protect my friends, the people who are supposed to protect me. I'm weak and can't do anything right."

The room fell quiet for a moment. In that time, Usagi debated on crying again, but stopped herself. She's already cried a storm in the past few hours and wetting their bed with tears would lead her mind nowhere. Also in that time was Miyako thinking of what to say. In a time where a one flocks to her older siblings for help, the elder always has to be smart with their words. But as a constant, she kept tight hold of their hands. 

"If you were weak and couldn't do anything right, then I wouldn't be here." Miyako lowered her voice even more. "When we were younger and had gym class, you always helped from running too hard or hurting myself. Even when I was in the nurse's office or the hospital, you were always there for me. Shingo, too, even if he doesn't say anything, always feels protected by you."