Life or Death

It's been two hours. Two hours of sitting in the corner of my classroom, confided to feeling scared and anxious about what was happening next. Two hours of not knowing when I'd get to leave or if I'd get to leave. 

I can hear the other girls crying. The boys making inappropriate jokes in hopes of forgetting that they're in this situation. I can feel the kid next to me trembling. And me? I haven't moved. I haven't cried. And I haven't spoken in two hours. 

I never thought this would happen to me. To any of us really. We all go to this lucrative private school which costs thousands of dollars a year. My parents pay money for me not to face the same risks a public school kid does. Yet here I am, not knowing anything about what's going to happen to me. 

I feel terrified and anxious. There are about a hundred things happening that I can't 100% understand. 

But I do know, we're all feeling the same. 

Boom. Another gun shot. Boom. And another. I lost count of how many there have been. I'm not even sure it's just one shooter. Or how many are dead. Who do I know that was hurt? Is my little sister okay? 

I need to get the hell out of here. 

"Miss, do you know if the cops are nearby? What are they gonna do?" Nathan speaks. 

People keep asking the same questions. 

"No. I don't know anything Nathan." Ms.Miller responds, trembling. She's just as fearful as the rest of us. 

I'm bound to lose my mind here. 

It was another hour before I heard the next gun shot. Yet this time, it was right outside the door. The room fell silent. 

 I can hear the whispers and the prayers escaping people's lips. Small whimpers coming from all sides. I see all the tears falling slowly or the shuffling of bodies closer to each other. 

The room makes me feel so extremely vulnerable. More than I've ever been in my life. 

Not because I'm so openly vulnerable and could be hurt at any moment, but because I've never done anything I've actually wanted to do. I kept it safe my whole life. I got the right grades and never had any friends. Never been kissed or had a boyfriend. I missed the parties and the hang outs. I felt vulnerable because I had waisted my life and now I'm not sure I can fix it. Now I'm not sure I'll make it past the next hour. 

Bang. Bang. Bang. 

Someone's trying to open the door. 

I bite down on my lips to keep myself from screaming. Others do the same. Some let out whines and shrieks. 

My heart begins to pound. My mouth is dry. The tears continue pouring. And the fear sets in. 

I can't think. I don't even feel myself blink again. I'm on the verge of screaming with anxiety. I can't really see anymore. 

I get up. People say things behind me. I hear absolutely none of it. 

"Pick something up," I whisper at first. I try to find my voice after two hours. 

"Melanie! Sit down." Someone behind me is calling my name. 

"Guys!" I whisper yell. "Pick up something heavy.

My voice came back. 

People start to rise up. Others taking seats farther back. 

Some people are too afraid. But I'd rather die fighting.