1

February || 1997

A gentle brush of a hand swept across the iron railing. The sea mist and rainfall from before soaking up into the skin where nail and finger tip meet. Breathing in the humid air of the sea with the backwards tilt of your head. Tongue swiping across your bottom lip as the salt in the air was staring to dry the moisture in your skin.

Your mind was off into a different world, small face void of emotion. The only thing differentiating your figure to a corpse was the tan on the bridge of your nose that swept across the flesh of your cheeks. Another crash of the waves sent the salted water up the wall of eroded stone and peppered your sun burned skin.

It stung, but only for a little while.

The drifting void of your psyche left a hollowness within. You've often found your mind wandering back to the life from paradise.

Despite this being a getaway from home.. you thought about them.

Thumb spinning the silver band around your fourth finger, detestably. A lump of guilt following that dreaded feeling right after.

You did love them, your spouse, but the way your heart no longer pounded against your bosom whenever your met eyes disturbed you. Now a body void of any feeling is present when you see them grinning at you in the morning.

A hollow, empty husk of a human.

Not that you could help it- no. It simply wasn't your fault. The hope to be fulfilled again and to feel the woozy warm feeling of newly love is what caused you to take your vacation days from the office early and head out on a plane to wherever was within your budget.

Now you find yourself standing before the vast oceanic landscape almost every morning, a short walk away from your hotel room. Nothing came from the dark sapphire and it sparked a fume within. Whatever could you demand so much from the ocean?

Not demand, but yearn for.

Something within you shifted and you straighten your posture.. from excitement?

Just like clockwork, you thought.

Your eyes took in the ritualistic scene aways from the shore. A dark figure emerged- no strutted from the deep blue. Clad in diving gear, the figure slicked back his inky locks and slipped off the yellow goggles from his brow.

Plopping his equipment down onto the sand below and looking into a pail he held, swishing it around gently. As though satisfied, he placed the pail beside his hip and reached down for his gear once more.

From this ordinary script embedded into your skull, today was the spark you needed. The dormant organ within your ribs nearly dropped from its place as the figure in the dunes,

was looking right at you.