Chapter Five: George

“I swear I feel like a Thanksgiving turkey,” Natalie whispers.

The sweltering Nijalan heat has started to give way with twilight. The bars of sunlight from the single square vent above my head have faded. I’m soaked with sweat from the day roasting.

“We made it,” I reply.

“Barely. I don’t think I can do another day here, George.”

I stand, restless and displeased once more. The man who brings our water is late, and I’m starting to grow concerned about what that might mean.

“Tell me another story?” she asks.

Testing the door the way I have several times a day since arriving, I dwell on her request for a moment. “Not sure about a story, but I think I decided what I want to do about Alisha,” I reply.

“Marry her.”

“There are many steps between here and there,” I say with a chuckle. “But ... out of fear that she’ll hack me, I’m considering dating her seriously.”

Natalie laughs. “The only person you’re fooling is yourself, George. Just treat her well. She deserves the best.”

I smile. It’s getting harder to stay focused where I need to, and my thoughts keep sliding to Alisha, to the incredible night we spent together and how much I want every night to be like that from here on out. I like the way Alisha makes me feel alive, our back and forth, and how she helps me relax and believe life isn’t as dark as it’s seemed the past few years.

But there are obstacles, and I’m not afraid to admit that some of those obstacles are my past and my fear. “Did she ever give you a comic book name?” I ask absently.

“Yeah, when we were thirteen. It’s horrible.” Natalie smiles. “The Crunchy Librarian, because I used to sneak chips into the library after lunch.”

I laugh. “I got off easy. I’m The Gladiator.”

“Definitely better.”

The rattle of chains comes from the door. I step back and turn to glance at her.

She nods and hurries to the center of the container before she drops to her knees.

“Now.” I mouth the word to her.

Natalie doubles over as if in pain and begins moaning.

Please let this work. “Hey, mate!” I call when the door cracks open. “Whatever you fed her earlier, she’s been vomiting half the day!”

There’s a pause in the rustling. The door doesn’t open wider.

“Look, I’ll sit in the back.” I make a show of moving towards the back of the container. “Just get her to a doctor!”

Natalie’s moans grow louder.

I can almost see the guard who brings us water in the evening hesitating beyond the door. Their orders seem to be to keep us alive – even if barely.

“What happens to you if she dies in here?” I add and then hold my breath.

Natalie starts crying. Unlike her moaning, her heart wrenching sobs aren’t faked, and my stomach twists to hear her pain. It makes me desperate instead of determined, a feeling I know to be dangerous if I lose my focus and act smartly.

It has an effect on the guard, too. The chains rattle, and the door is pushed open past the usual four inches.

“I will bring someone.” The words send hope soaring through me. He closes the door.

Adrenaline replaces my fatigue, and I prepare to make our one shot of getting out of here count.