Summoned

I really don't understand what happened.

One moment I was getting up from the sofa because it was time to peel off the charcoal mask off my face, and in the next one I was standing in a shabby, unfamiliar room, surrounded by candles and three half-transparent human-like creatures. We spent a few moments gaping at each other before we screamed, and they stood up and darted out of the room.

"I told you summoning people was a bad idea!" I heard one of them say before slamming the door.

I looked down and realized I was standing on one of those boards I saw in the movies, the ones used to summon the spirits of the dead.

I carefully stepped off the board and out of the circle of candles.

Did I die?

But how? I just got off the sofa!

I walked up to the door and tried opening it, but my hand just sank through the handle. Oh, God, what is this? I walked through the door like a ghost. Those three were nowhere in sight. I walked out of the house, whose walls were peeling off behind me, and stepped out onto a dark street. All houses were old and dilapidated. Transparent beings levitated up and down the street in a casual conversation with each other, just like people. Two of them walked up to me and I wanted to say something to them, but they just screamed and ran away.

The rest of the creatures turned their attention to me, and soon the street became one big pile of shrieking, floating, half-transparent chaos.

I backed away into the house I came from and was met by my summoners. They had crosses in their hands and stretched them out towards me when I got inside.

"What is this upside down world?" I yelled at them. "People should be scared of ghosts, not the other way around!"

"S-s-s-s-sorry, Miss human! We-we were just, we were just joking around," said one ghost.

"Y-yeah. We didn't expect someone would actually show up," said the other, his voice shaking as much as the cross in his hand.

"I just want..." I started talking, but stopped when I realized I was back in my own home.

I sat on the sofa and stared at the wall, my mind a complete blank. My face felt strange. I touched it - the mask was starting to peel off. Much like the walls in that peculiar place.