My Happily Ever After

My One Day came in the form of a sunny Tuesday at Lake Sunapee during the summer of 1971.  It was the whole band, Mick, and me up there, and it was tons of fun.  The actual day (ya know, the wedding) happened in December.

        In 1973, Aerosmith released their first album, and their second followed close by in 1974.

        Mick found a girlfriend who wasn't ditsy.  Well, she wasn't smart, but she was nice and I liked her.  Mick cleaned himself up and went to college and got a degree in the arts, and became an aspiring artist (he's a fantastic drawer).  His girlfriend was also an artist.  They were cute together.  Her name was Eleanor and she was gorgeous.  Come to think of it, the entire band has girlfriends now.

        And they started cutting demos for a third album.

--

        They were cutting tracks for a fifth album.  Yes, that's right, they've released four consecutive albums so far, and they're releasing another in 1977.  The last one, Rocks, brought them a lot of attention.  We're talking world tours, groupies throwing themselves at their feet... All the rock-star stuff.  They made it.  Just like Frank said: they are gonna be big.

        Anyway, while they were cutting tracks for this fifth album, I realized something wasn't right:

        I attended most recording sessions, and they were nearly constant, and I hadn't realized how fast time was going by.  They had been at this for a month.  One whole month.  I didn't think much of it.  You can be late sometimes; that happens right?

        Yeah, it doesn't happen.

        I was pregnant.

        I thought it was good news, but I was nervous about the band.  Like, they're kind of in the middle of being famous.  Don't'cha think that Steven's a bit busy?

        Guess what?

        Steven thought it was great fuckin' news.  I'm talking, like, he teared up.  Which made me tear up.  And it was a happy crying fest in his room that night.

        But that's okay.

        A few months before Draw the Line was to be released, I was laying next to Steven, around four months along.  My hand was on top of his, on my stomach.  He laughed a whispery laugh, breath tickling my ear.  "Y'know what I was just thinking?"

        "No, what?" I ask quietly.

        "Exactly this: And they lived happily ever after."  He laughed again, almost embarrassed.  "Cheesy, right?"

        I laughed too.  "It's weird, 'cause I think that too sometimes," I say.

        He kisses me.  In all honesty, things couldn't be more perfect.  "But it's oddly kind of true," he said, shrugging.  "We lived happily ever after; in love."  He smiled, kissing me again.  "Waiting for whatever happens to be the next One Day– of which there will be many."  He kisses me gently one final time before closing his eyes, slowly running his other hand up and down my arm.  "And that's a promise."