The Noise

A/N Hey guys! I do not own the cover picture! Rights reserved to who made it! This story is short and if you see any mistakes please pm me or let me know in the comments! Let me know your honest opinions ! I love feedback!

"I'm not tired." Natalie whines. Rubbing her eyes in exhaustion. I simply roll my eyes and take my glasses off. She's been one hell of a handful. I know how kids work, especially Natalie. She's been a tough one, but that goes for all kids that have been through so much growing up very their time. I was one of them.
" I want to see daddy." I look at her. Eyes filling with tears, I know they say to take it easy on kids through so much. That's why I've been working so hard to get her into child therapy.
" Soon honey, we just have to give it time." She shakes her head, I close her school folder and slip it into her backpack.
I recently moved into Natalie's house last week after I got custody of my little sister a month ago. I'd moved out three years ago after our father divorced, I never really liked to call her mom. Natalie's mother and received a call from a caseworker about a little girl that kept saying "call lacey" but never gave the woman my number. They'd found her walking around on the school playground six hours after school let out. Her mother never called or picked her up. Turns out after investigation, Natalie was living in unlivable conditions and was also badly neglected. Natalie's mother was also found in a state of disorientation and was suffering from a psychotic break, she was evaluated and tested. She was also unrecognizable, so she was then held in observation and the only thing I was told was Natalie's mother said they weren't living alone. The later found Natalie's mother delusional and violent. But days after, she starved herself to death and suffocated, even though she was put in ICU on fluids and oxygen. It was something that no one could explain.

" Stop whining and go get your pajamas on and get ready for bedtime." Getting up and pushing Natalies desk chair under. "I don't want to go to bed, I want some ice cream." Natalie continues on crying. "You've been whining all day and I've had enough for the last time-" I point my finger at her thinking of how Im supposed to make her listen, but I stop when I hear a door creak slowly, then I hear the footsteps of the floorboards, then suddenly it slams shut making us both jump. "Lacey what-" " Ssh, be quiet. Did you see anyone or hear anything down stairs while you were down there?" Natalie shakes her head slowly, but the look in her eyes told me different. Is she...really lying about this? "Natalie Nicole. Don't lie about this. This is serious, so please be honest with me." Pleading with her, I wait watching but she doesn't seem to give in. Walking towards the door, I step out into the hallway.
I see my breath as I breathe out slowly. It's like the temperature had dropped 30 degrees, or like I was standing in a freezer. Behind me is three other rooms and a bathroom, no lights were on behind. Just only a window with enough light barely visible. Only with a light on downstairs gives me enough light to see in front of me, I stare at the stairs frozen and shaking, I can't see down the stairs because they turn. Then the stairs begin slowly creaking and suddenly someone or something starts running up the stairs, not lightly but with a heavy stomping steps. My heart begins racing and my eyes start watering, and can hear my heart and blood pumping in my ears and I freeze turning to look at Natalie, she's shaking but doesn't seem even scared. "Natalie, go in your room and hide under the bed. Be completely quiet, don't make a sound or whoever this is-" and suddenly something a few feet in front of me lets out a low growl. I'm still looking at Natalie, I know i don't wanna look up. "Lacey, don't look at her. She's mad and lonely she just wants a friend. " I stare at her as a tear trails down my cheek. I stumble over my words, "Natalie...who is she? " Do I dare look away from Natalie?
Turning my head slowly, the floorboards in front of me creak. "Lacey please don't! Don't please!" Natalie screams so I stop and stare at her. "Ok I won't." Walking slowly towards Natalie, I walk past her into the room. Shaking, my legs are numb and so cold. I can do it, with one swift motion I shove Natalie in the room and slam the door shut locking it. "Lacey why did you do that your gonna make her mad!" Natalie screams, she runs over to the far corner near the window and slides down the wall crying. A loud banging on the bedroom door makes my skin sting and sends my adrenaline pumping fast. "Natalie where's my phone!?" I slide down the wall beside her, "Natalie. I need an answer!" She doesn't reply, she only stares at the door. "You made her mad." Natalie says, but the thing that scares me the most is it sounds like she's in a trance. The banging stops, then Natalie lets out a sigh.

A/N Thanks for reading I greatly appreciate it! I'll see how this goes and if you guys like it, I'll post the next chapter 😏😁